Sign in to follow this  
Thom

Oil Leek

Hi,

Still have a nasty oil leak on my 9A. One mechanic told me it was the half moon seal on the rocker gasket, but it's definitely not as I cleaned this weeks ago and havn't seen any oil from this point at all. Have tried a tin of Stop Leak, but thats just crap. Basically where this is going is I was wondering if anyone has any experience of jet washing thier engine bay? I want to do this so I have a better chance of finding the leak. I'm planning to cover the battery terminals etc, but otherwise, is this safe to do?, cheers :?

It's a steam cleaner you need and not just a presure washer, and protect your electrics, distributor etc, they don't work well damp :)

The 16v cam cover seal design is pants, far too easy for the seals to not make a proper oil tight seal in the corners, especially where the seal goes over the exhaust cam/distributor drive ends, get the inlet off, clean the surfaces as free from oil as possible , fit a new seal and put a dab of silicone sealant in the corners (some people have told me they use a gasket sealant as some manufacturers specify, GM and some Jap engines I believe), try to spot the seal squeezing out of line anywhere as you tighten all the nuts up, don't overdo them, they only need nipping up and as they are small 10mm bolts only need about 10lb/ft of torque, best to gently nip up and put a dab of threadlock on each.

Could be a cam seal at cambelt end or a leaking seal on the distributor itself if the distruibutor is worn, you'd get loads of oil inside the distributor if that's the case and they have a small drain hole underneath

Rare for oil to leak from anywhere else really, head gaskets aren't prone to oil leaks AFAIK.