Sign in to follow this  
Mark_Storm

Problems with Laser alarm

Just this weekend i have started having a few problems with my alarm; when i lock the car using the key fob it bleeps twice and all locks ok but then about 10 seconds later starts bleeping away. A coupe of times it has then set the alarm off. I'm guessing it is probably a sensor gone wrong somewhere but know nothing about electrics. Anyone got any ideas?

Does it bleep 3 times in succession? That means that the alarm thinks one of the doors/bonnet/boot is still open.

Usual suspect is the bonnet sensor (a little spring thing that's supposed to go down when you close the bonnet). Over time, the bonnet sensor can kinda dent the underside of the bonnet skin, meaning that when you shut the bonnet, the sensor isnt fully down. You can adjust it to sit a bit higher by twisting the sensor a few times. It should just be screwed in :)

After the alarm has gone off the LED inside the car should quickly flash a number of times in succession, this tells you what has triggered it. Don't have hand book with me but I'll post up later what the codes are.

Mine did this a while ago and it turned out to be goosed interior sensors. Short term fix was to unplug sensors until I bought new ones, stopped alarm sounding all night.

does it have interior motion detectors?

i found out i had a problem once and it was just the seatbelt moving around inside car and the angle of detector :lol:

Here are the indicator codes shown after the alarm has been triggered, as indicated by the LED on your dash somewhere.

Each * represents a flash of the LED followed by a pause, eg** ** ** means 2 flashes in quick succession with a short pause before the next 2 flashes.

* * * =trigered by voltage drop ie interior light,cooling fan etc

** ** ** =movement inside car ie sensors

*** *** *** =bonnet, boot or door opened

**** **** **** =shock sensor ie it's been bumped or hit

***** ***** ***** =ignition been tried ie hot wiring

****** ****** ****** =battery disconnected, or supply to battery interupted

Hope this helps

I don't have a manual so appreciate it!

I had a play yesterday but came to no conclusion. Sometimes it gives 2 x 3 bleeps which would indicate a door/boot/bonnet open but i've checked all these and can't identify which one isn't working. Sometimes though its like its making up its own tune, can't figure it out. I have worked out though that it sets, the alarm will go off once and then it works ok from there so it'll just be annoying the neighbours for a little while until i get it sorted.

Anyone know someone in the Bristol area that works on these alarms?

Its not the beeps which are codes, its the LED flashing after the alarm has gone off and you get into the car. The quiet(ish) beeps when you arm the alarm are to let you know alarm will go off as something is wrong eg window open, something inside moving etc.

When you arm the alarm, wait by car till alarm goes off, switch it off, get in, and see what code the LED flashes.

That'll tell you what has triggered the alarm

Went and had a look again, and it's cured itself! How or why I don't know but it's played up before so I'm sure it'll happen again at some point. Thanks for the pointers, will keep the info handy!

Could be a loose connection somewhere.

Make sure all connectors are pushed home properly.

My alarm is fitted behind glove box, but can be accessed from passenger side footwell when undertray is removed.

You're working upside down at this point, but ok if just checking plugs

Good luck

OK it's been messing about again so I took it to an electrician who has checked all the sensors and said it's definately the alarm that's the problem.

He didn't charge me for checking which was pretty good of him and gave me a price of £320+VAT to rip it out and fit a Meta alarm & immobiliser (Thatcham Cat 1). Is this a good manufacturer / price? I just want a full closure Cat 1 system and am not that fussed about the extra options you can get with Toad or Clifford alarms.