Sign in to follow this  
scarlet_vr6

steering rack differences

I've heard that the steering rack differs between early and late models but do they differ across the variants too? (did a search but couldn't find anything)

TIA

as far as I've been able to find out the only real difference other than the VR6 ones having longer track rods bolted in (which can be swapped for 4 cyl ones) is the fact that LHD VR6's have a different type of rack, easily identifiable by webbed ribbing in the casting of the main rack body, can't be many in the UK though..

The RHD Corrado/golf3 VR6 rack I have at home is identical to the 16v one.

You could even use an early 36 spline rack in a late (post 92) car if you obtained the corresdponding UJ.

Some SEAT's use the same rack (Ibiza Cupra to 2002, 16v toledo to 1997) and even some polo's, 16v estate I believe.

Many other models use basically the same rack (more basic golfs and SEATs), the difference with them being a slightly slower rack, bit more distance lock to lock, perfectly useable on a Corrado though, at least one person I've heard of fitting a low mileage SEAT rack from a lower down the range car, didn't seem to have any problems and possibly better than fitting a higher mileage corrado one.