Sign in to follow this  
Nick_Micouris

How to connect head unit to instrument dimmer wire?

Hi all

I jave just installed a new Alpine Head Unit and I see that you can connect the headunit up to the car's illumination adjustment.

To quote the manual:

DIMMER LEAD:

This lead may be connected to the vehicle's isntrument cluster illumination lead. This will enable the vehicle's dimmer control to dim the backlighting of the unit.

I would like to do this, but can anyone tell me which lead I should tap into? I was thinking the illumination wire on the bulb for the ashtray or something but don't know which of the wires I need. Can anyone advise me, please?

Many thanks

Nick

I thought that too, maybe just an option in the HU to turn it on so it does it as some people like it lit up like a christmas tree all bright and distracting at night.

its usually part of the ISO loom that connects into the back of ure HU from the cars main wiring, Check your connections on the ISO plug, theres a chance that Alpine in there infinate wisdom took it out from the standard block and made it seperate just to make life difficult. chances are if so there will be a blue/white wire that connects to nothing on the ISO blocks :)

Cheers Phil Will have a look.

Alpine have coloured the wire orange, so I will look for the blue/white wire in the cars power etc loom for the head unit. Thanks again!