Sign in to follow this  
was8v

Magic mystery dash wires Quiz - please help!

Previous post was incorrect as I though I was looking at the ABS light but it was the heated rear window switch.

Anyway here goes - I took the dash out of 1992 (dizzy) Vr6 to repair the heater box flaps. that went smoothly but I found a bunch of other wiring "issues" not caused by me but must be a previous owner (The dash has been out before :( ). IIRC Everything worked fine before pulling the dash and all the wires were in the state pictured when I pulled the dash.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) First up we have a cut Black/Yellow wire

Q: what is it?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Next up is a strange white plug which IIRC was not connected to anything found to the left and below the clocks, and has had the black wire cut going to it. The black wire is dangling below it.

Q: whats the black wire and what should the plug be plugged into?!

3) This wire was found behind the ashtray not connected to anything

Q: Should it be connected to something?

3) There are two of these - I believe one was connected to the illumination for the heater controls

Q: is the other one the illumination for the cig lighter? otherwise what is it??

4) Socket on the left found behind the glove box. A little way to the right 2 x plugs were dangling with the same colour wires

Q: should one of the plugs be in that socket? were does the other plug go?

5) OBD connectors. The +12v and ground aren't connected to anything. I used the +12 and GND from the radio hooked up to my VAG COM wire to read the ABS fault codes a few weeks back. This worked but would not read the engine ECU.

Q: Wheres the other end of this connected to? Any ideas on why it wouldn't read the engine ECU?

Any help with the above would be much appreciated!!

Thanks.

I have the yellow/black and brown wires (number 3) hanging there and would also like to know what it is for.

The other one with the matching connector goes to the cigarette lighter i think.

1) Thats the main wire to the heater on the rear window. I guess there is a prob with the element itself that it was shorting/blowing fuses so it was disconnected

2) Thats a plug for a heated seat switch.

Thanks for the responses guys:

1) Thats the main wire to the heater on the rear window.

Grrr I'll attempt to trace it back and find the problem.

2) Thats a plug for a heated seat switch.

I believe this car was originally supplied with heated leather recaros, shame they aren't in it anymore but it explains the presence of this I guess.

I have the yellow/black and brown wires (number 3A) hanging there and would also like to know what it is for.

At least it sounds normal for it to be there!

(3B) The other one with the matching connector goes to the cigarette lighter i think.

My cigarette light is missing the bulb and socket for that plug then, I can probably live without illumination on my cig lighter.

Anyone got any ideas on 4) and 5)???

I've just found connector number 3 while fitting a stereo and would love to know what it's for (2pin black plug, brown wire and black/yellow wire)

Did you find out about it?

Ta

ST

Just been out with a multimeter and the connector is joined to the glove box light.

So I would assume it is a switched live for maybe illuminating the optional voltage/oil temp/pressure dials or something like that.

Definately nothing to worry about anyhow.

Might help someone in a future search.

ST

Just been out with a multimeter and the connector is joined to the glove box light.

So I would assume it is a switched live for maybe illuminating the optional voltage/oil temp/pressure dials or something like that.

Bingo, thats the conclusion i came to as well.

5) OBD connectors was down to a dodgy connection.

4) Red and brown/white behind glove box still a mystery.