Sign in to follow this  
latestarter2

flaky steering wheel.

Ive still got an original corrado steering wheel in my vr6 but just recently its started to flake. the surface especially on the top section. It has suddenly gone all sticky and seems to be disintergrating on me. My hands feel like they got glue all over them after driving and small granules of the wheel surface are rubbing off (I know re reading this it all sounds a bit oooer missus).

is there a way of resealing it or stopping it falling apart or am I heading towrads a new purchase?

I would just pick up a used one in better condition, or you can get a Polo G40 one...or maybe a snazzy aftermarket Momo/Sparco one.

I suffered from this really badly last winter with my VR6. Seemed to get worse with the colder weather - flaking badly from the top and as you describe - tar like stickiness. The steering wheel looked pretty grubby and worn at the top. Wanting to keep my car as close to original as possible I got another VR6 wheel from Ebay in much better condition - and for the first time tonight (strangely) the same thing has started.

I was thinking of starting a thread to see if other people had experienced this too - so it's good seeing your post. Dunno how to prevent it really. Anyone else suffer from this too? Any suggestions?

I suffered from this really badly last winter with my VR6. Seemed to get worse with the colder weather - flaking badly from the top and as you describe - tar like stickiness. The steering wheel looked pretty grubby and worn at the top. Wanting to keep my car as close to original as possible I got another VR6 wheel from Ebay in much better condition - and for the first time tonight (strangely) the same thing has started.

I was thinking of starting a thread to see if other people had experienced this too - so it's good seeing your post. Dunno how to prevent it really. Anyone else suffer from this too? Any suggestions?

Mine's done this a little, I thought it was because a previous owner was a ring wearer and had chewed up the surface of the leather - the car had a metal Richbrook gearknob fitted when I got it and that was covered in fine scratches, or maybe the guy just wore gloves made from sandpaper...

I was toying with the idea of buying one of those leather restoration kits that have been mentioned on here by a couple of people who've redone their interiors in different colours and giving it a go on the steering wheel. It's supposed to resurface the leather, re-colour and seal it. This sort of thing. Any OE Corrado steering wheel you buy is going to be at least 12 years old now, so it's gotta be worth a go.

There was a brand new Corrado steering wheel on eBay last week though. Was watching it, but it went for 180 quid, which was a bit over my budget, ahem :?

I have just noticed mine starting to do this.

I am going to get some leather cleaning stuff this weekend and see how i get on, i dont think its the leather, just grime on the surface of it.

Mine has been doing this for ages also. I thought it was after my heater matrix went and the car was efectively damp all winter.

Father christmas looked on a scrapyard website amnd managed to find one for 30 quid delivered.

I have just noticed mine starting to do this.

I am going to get some leather cleaning stuff this weekend and see how i get on, i dont think its the leather, just grime on the surface of it.

It's definitely not just grime - the wheel surface at the top from the 10 to 2 position usually actually starts breaking up - was a real state on my last wheel. Was gutted when the new wheel I bought started doing it too.

It's definitely not just grime - the wheel surface at the top from the 10 to 2 position usually actually starts breaking up - was a real state on my last wheel. Was gutted when the new wheel I bought started doing it too.

Well if thats the case, i will see if i can get another wheel.

If not i may look into getting it retrimmed it its not too expensive.

it's crap though - I wanted to keep the originality of the car. That's 2 wheels it's happened with - maybe I just have really sweaty hands!

Im just wondering if the heater blowers are affecting it?..(when they work, mine have just decided to work on number 4 setting only again a year after being replaced with a new set!!)

Perhaps they are pumping something through the vents thats settling on the wheel and dissolving it road salt for instance??.

.dunno what do you think?

Well...you guys got to remember that the steering wheel is going to be 12+ years old. If you have rings on your fingers...that won't help either.

The top of the wheel is a common place for people to put their hand and its also the spot the sun hits most of the time when parked...therefore accelerating the wear even more.

If not i may look into getting it retrimmed it its not too expensive.

I got a quote for, wait for it, £140 for a retrim :shock:

whoah!

That's a fair amount of wonga. I definitely think the sun beating in on it and the summer and cold conditions in the winter are the main culprit.

guess it is expensive but then if they're all going to be doing this with age then maybe a retrim is not that much more in comparison to maybe 3 replacement wheels?! plus it would potentially look a bit oem+ if you found something a bit different?

oh and yes, the new (used) one that i put on this year is beginning to do it too!

£140!! :shock:

That is a tad expensive, but then again that brand new one on Ebay went for £180 and brand new from the stealers i think they are around £300.

Oh well, Christmas is coming :D

The trick is to get some leather feed and give your wheel a good going over about once a month. Your hands, the sun, the heater all dry out the leather and it just cracks - this can all be avoided by a £6 tub of leather feed...

A standard (non airbag) MK3 golf one is exactly the same but without the leather rim.

I have one in my MK2 and would probably stick one in the corrado if the leather ws going.