Sign in to follow this  
corozin

DIY Heatshielding

Right,

I have a lovely new engine in my VR6 which includes an unwrapped stainless 6-branch manifold. Now although I haven't had a problem with it yet, I'm a teeny bit concerned that where the new engine has gone in there is only minimal heatshielding compared with what was there before.

What I do have in place is the bulkhead shielding, but I'm concerned :

a) About heat from the manifold affecting the wiring loom and hoses on behind the throttle/inlet, particularly if the car is "hot" and stationary

b) The manifold passes within about an inch of what I think is the power steering pump (which is made of plastic)

Can anyone recommend some good products or materials from which to manufacture some additional heatshielding so I can protect these areas from the 6-branch? I need a combination of solid/firm panels that I can bracket up, but will also need some flexible, reflective, heat resistant material/panelling that I can wrap/attach to countoured areas

Thoughts appreciated.,

John

will the actual manifold be ok with these temps its being "held" at?, just always wondered, but i suppose the manifold coming from the back of the engine it wont get much cooling without it, just didnt want to get a manifold wrap it and bust it lol :)

That's really helpful - thanks for the links & info guys.

Out of interest I don't actually have my 6-branch manifold exhaust wrapped. In part tthat's one of the reasons I'm seriously looking at the heat shielding issue. I think just a nice bit over the PS pump shrouding and a bit near the bulkhead will help me sleep at night a bit better. Nothing's melted yet since putting the car back on the road 1200 miles ago, but the temperatures coming from it's track day use next year might be a different matter.

Cheers

John