Sign in to follow this  
Dazz

MK 1

can anybody help, I'm thinking of buying a red MK1 but I'm not sure if it is a good deal? its an 1982 A reg in mars red. Its had a respay a few years ago, a 1.8 engine out of a j reg cab put into it, it also a a full stainless steel exaust and some manefould fitted. It has half lether interior and ats classic alloys but one is buckled. There is no history with it and needs a new sunroof.

The owner is asking £1800 for it, is there anything major to look out for and do you think the asking price is ok ?

If it's got the wheel arch extensions on (black plastic) or any body kit that covers the wheel arches, be very careful to inspect behind these as much as possible as the rear arches are a sod for rotting...

Also take off the filler cap and check inside for signs of rust on the top of the filler neck... If it's rotted through then it could mean a new pump and injectors if it's a GTI, at best you'll need to dredge the crap outta the tank... :?

'A' reg golfs should all have been wax injected from the factory, so any major rust or repairs on the sills (inner and outer) is a bad sign.

A buckled wheel isn't a good sign of being looked after and having no history isn't too great either... I've not looked at the prices of MKI's for a long while (I think it would scare me when I work out how much I've spent on mine and how much it's not worth at the moment!) so I don't know if £1800 is dear or not... Buy a "THE GOLF" magazine and have a look in the classifieds at the back 'cos there's a good buyers guide there and some to compare prices with... 8)

Good luck! MKI GTI's still rate as one of my top 10 cars of all time and every time I get to drive one I still end up with a huge silly grin! :lol: 8)

Hi there Dazz, welcome to the forum mate! :lol: :lol:

You should also state all the small things that you told me about. That way people have a better idea of the car. The main things are good respray(if its good), j reg engine(no history to prove millage though) and the half leathers. But its all those little thing wrong with it that you told me about that make the differance!

Seeing as though you're not selling the car, this can go in General.

Welcome to the forum as well :)

(am I the only mod that does any work round here? :? :lol: )

am I the only mod that does any work round here? :? :lol:

Maybe, but you still forgot to move it! :p :roll: :lol: :lol:

.....erm......just trying to prove a point.........??? lol

:lol:

Sorry, VR6 I just couldn't resist that! :wink: :lol:

At least you got there in the end... :)

(Ok I'll go away now!)