Sign in to follow this  
timg60

window problem.fixed but have no skin left!

Hi guys,

Have used the search and havnt found an answer to my problem,

My drivers side window has dropped about 3 inches. When I use the window switch I can hear the motor going at the rear but dosnt do anything with the window. And when I lift it back up there is no resistance. But it dosnt fall more than 3 inches. Was going to have a look today but the weather was shocking :?

Anyone had the same problem? Any easy fixes?

Cheers Tim

Take the door card off, you'll see just what goes on then, the glass has probably come loose..No quick fix I'm afraid, can be fiddly..... :lol:

Ok, finally got the time to take the door card off and have discovered that the wire from the motor to the lifting arms has snapped. Can this be replaced or would it be easier to replage the whole unit? I have a spare door with the unit in it.

And has anyone got a guide on how to change it over :?

Cheers Tim

Hi

You have to replace the complete motor and cable thingybob. If the one you have is for the same side door then it should be ok. Take the one out of the spare door and that will show you what is involved in replacing. There is a guide somewhere.

You need an assistant to make things easier.

try to lower the window or get it lined up with the holes in the top of the door and undo the 2 bolts that hold the glas to the lifter bit, then lower the glass and pull the arms out of the plastic inserts.

Drill all the rivets (including one that holds the connector to the door skin) out and whilst getting your assistant to wiggle the window up and down and damaging your knuckles you can twist the mech so that the top goes forward and down and the bottom goes back and up a bit, then fiddle till the old mech comes out of the door. It's a right bugger to do, and even more tricky to put back in.

Now replacing that is a right royal pain in the provebial........................................

Scraped knuckles all round and I had a mate who is a mechanic helping. Worst thing was that the whole way through the ordeal i was praying that the replacement unit would work..........Cause my mate is a much quicker runner than me and I didnt fancy a beating. He really hates it when I phone up and ask him if he has a couple of mins to spare on the c. :lol:

But i could change it again if needeed.

Would suggest putting bolts back in instead of rivets for ease of removal another time :(

Thanks for the help guys 8)