Sign in to follow this  
Rimshot

Heed gasket?

Hi guys, happy new year! Just wanted to ask you again about my 1.8. It was chhurning out white/blue smoke a while back when the mill got hot, but after a few weeks it stopped. ?! Now the smoking has started again when the car's been idling for a while and the mill is getting hot. The temperature needle hits over a hundred, the exhaust smokes like hell and the clutch gets sticky. I've noticed the water level in the expansion tank drops alot every couple of hundred miles and I have to add around half a liter to get it back to normal. (The hot air's f**ked and it has stalling from time to time, usually on the motorway where I have to drop the clutch and turn the key to fire it back into life, but i'll post more about that at a later date, one thing at a time!)

Apparently, if the head gasket splits it turns the oil milky, but there is no such evidence in my car, however, if it's split on the opposing side the it'll leave no such evidence. Is this true?

Cheers in advance again for any info, i'm getting it looked at tomorrow aft so i'll tell you what the outcome is for anyone experiening similar problems.