Sign in to follow this  
JMC

Q's - modifying front bumper for Golf G60 intercooler

Seen a few cars with the number plate hole opened up to allow air to get to the rad and FMIC (I have a Golf G60 one on mine). Has anyone here got first hand experience of doing it as I have a couple of questions - mainly around the metalwork behind the plastic. In the pictures below are the areas from the front and back of the metal work I'm thinking of removing. How much of this is necessary to the structural integrity of the bumper, and how much can I safely remove?? Cheers folks :D

i cut mine out its quite a pain in the arse took about a day to do would have been quiker but i sheared off 2 bolts puting the bumper back on and had to get the bumper bracket re-taped and two new bolts!

mines still strong and i cut the same size as the number plate recess out of the steel behind.

P6240009a.JPG[/attachment:3gipl296]

Have had this done to my bumper. The bodyshop that resprayed some exterior bits did this at the same time. AFAIK, they used an angle grinder to cut through the bumper iron work to cut out that area you have marked. It's easier to remove the whole number plate recess and then the mark the corresponding iron-work behind and cut it back too. The bumper won't be as strong but it will retain most of it's structural integrity as long as too much of iron-work isn't removed. I then had the resulting hole replaced by colour-coded mesh. I initially thought that this would look chav (it did when it was first done and was silver) but when it was colou-coded it looks great IMO. I know some people that have done it and then left the hole there not covered by anything, but IMO this is asking for trouble as anything could end up coming through the recess and busting your intercooler.

Hope this helps.

Cheers for the advice guys, and Matt thanks for the image, that's the type of thing I'm looking to achieve (na dgood to see where you've put your number plate too). I think as you say BigTartan, I'll do the plastic cutting first myself and then mark up what needs to be removed from the metal work and let someone else do that. I had planned on filling the hole with mesh of some sort, and I was going to colour it black to match the car.

I suppose the big question is does it really make that much difference to the flow of air over the FMIC and rad? I know just by looking at it, it should, but does really increase it substantially?

Its got to increase it much more as there is a more direct flow going to it, better low end and more top end performance, end of day its an air to air cooler so the more fresh air you can get to it the better.

Yeah, I know, common sense says there will be a good improvement, but as with all things it would be good to see some numbers :?

Anyway, started on roughing out the bumper today, another little project for 2008....

Agree it would be nice to see some more numbers but its not always about that, basically it will be less heat soaked with more flow through its core and will feel more responsive and slightly quicker but if you put it on the rollers it might not be any more powerful, if you see what i mean.

Will feel better even without adding figures.

Strangely enough, one of the reasons I have for doing this is because of results from the rollers, which I suspect may be as a result of heat soak.

On the 1st run the boost pressure reached it's max value faster than on the 2 subsequent runs. As such that affected the power and torque. My thoughts were heat soak as so much of the FMIC and rad are covered by the bumper, hence cutting a big hole might sole that problem. Suppose time will tell.

Thats exactly what i mean, basically it will help maintain the power you have and not lose it or as quick depending on conditions, where as going a larger 1 will prob help with increasing the numbers further.

What can I say.... Angle grinder - what a coool toy :D Half an hours work (and one cutting disk later) and have got the rough shape cut out of the metal work in the bumper iron. Just need to go over it with the grinder section now and remove all the rust. Can't believe I didn't buy one of these before now :lol:

Progress pics

Yeah, yeah, when there is light outside again :lol: Chances of me even finding the shed while it's dark are minimal...

Here you go junkie, I've braved the dark and the cold to get some slightly blurry shots :lol: The edges need tidying up, but I've cut away most of what I wanted to. The whole thing needs a good clean and repaint though - very rusty - I presume they're all prone to rusting, the one on my car is like that. Looks like another job for the list :?

Holy thread resurrection :batman:

Can't believe I started this back in jan, ad it still isn't finished yet :lol: . Anyhow, I got the bumper modified by Greg at Southam Bodies (attached imge). Thought there would be enough room to fit an FK debadged grill in where the recess was, and there was, but only just. Been out to today ana primered the bumper iron, ready for spraying tomorrow. All I have to do now is sourc a small numerbplate from somwhere and figure out how to attach it to the bumper :? Any thoughts from people who have relocated their numberplate as to the best way to do this?

going back to the original post, that chunk of metal isn't hugely important: it will offer some protection from a front impact, but most of the impact force will obviously go down the chassis rails anyways.

if you hit a thin enough pole straight on in the middle of your new bumper, it will probably go straight through...so always hit the pole on a side :salute:

going back to the original post, that chunk of metal isn't hugely important: it will offer some protection from a front impact, but most of the impact force will obviously go down the chassis rails anyways.

if you hit a thin enough pole straight on in the middle of your new bumper, it will probably go straight through...so always hit the pole on a side :salute:

Lol, will remember that when I am about to hit a pole Jon. I actaully removed even more of the metalwork in the end as it was really rusty and wouldn't have added any strength anyway. Been out today with plenty of sanding and spraying and ended up with this. Right now then small numberplate needed.