Sign in to follow this  
Martyn_McG

new owner

hi, i have just got a vr, i will post pics when its on the road, i have a few pressing issues i could really do with some help on please

the suspension is shot so needs replacing, i want it lowered but not too harsh a ride

which of these would be best?

- weitec hicon gt coilovers

- fk silverline or highsport coilovers

- or the koni ta's with h&r springs?

also i need to drop the back axle to fit a new standard vw exhaust i got hold of, is there anything else i should really replace while i am messing about with the back axle?

i also need a new rear caliper, or a new seal kit for one, which other cars shared these calipers, a golf?

and finally where is the best place to buy the suspension from and which is the best oil to use, will some 15/40 gtx magnatec do the job?

if any of you could answer some of the above it would really help,i need it on the road asap and then i can join in on the forum too!

thanks!

p.s i am aware there is a suspension thread but this just confused my decision making even more.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It depends on how low you want to go really. If you just want a mild drop then I would say the Koni's as this set up wont be too harsh.

Back axle - if you have access to the tools I would inspect and possibly change the rear axle bushes and also have a look at the brake pressure accumulator and give it a clean up and a lube.

Rear Calipers - mk4 golf rear calipers are interchangeable and highly recommended as the best upgrade as they are a different design and far more reliable.

Oil - Everyone has their own opinion to be honest but I use synta silver 10w 40.

Suspension - shop around really. I got my highsports from venom as they had the best price for FK's. Your best bet would be to go through golf+ or pvw and phone around the traders in the back to compare prices.

Hope this helps you out!

Enjoy you new corrado!! :)

thanks a lot for taking the time to reply, how do you find the highsports?

i want the car to be low but not low enough not to cause me any trouble with people in the back and speedbumps and stuff!!

im not to bothered about the ride being harder as long as its not over the top, any feedback on the highsports would be great.

i will look into the mk4 rear calipers, sounds like a good idea!

would still like to know what oil the rest of you use in your vr's.

look forward to getting involved on here, i dont have any pics yet as im not happy with all the stone chips on the front!!

Ah come on. Don't be daft, we all have stone chips! Get some pics up :)

I used to have FK AK's which in my opinion were fab! I only changed to the highsports so I could go lower on them.

Now go and take some pics of your rado! :)

As far as I know Weitec and FK are made by the same company?

Though someone might tell me I'm lying....

I didnt think they were.

is it any mk.4 golf rear calipers or just like gti's?

Cant remember to be honest. As far as we can remember it is any mk4 with the larger piston carrier that uses the same size rear disks as the rado.

I didnt think they were.

Ah, apologies, I must be getting confused.

Anyway, a lot of people have got Weitecs and rate them highly and I think this is what I'll be going for in the next few weeks.

i was very tempted by the highsports but the website i was looking at says you may need to uses spacers with the standard wheels, anybody know about this?

i was very tempted by the highsports but the website i was looking at says you may need to uses spacers with the standard wheels, anybody know about this?

Are you that was on the FK website and not the Weitec's? Saying this as I know for a fact with certain wheel aplications witht he Weitec's you need to use spacers. I've never heard of this with the highsports. You shouldnt have any problems with standard wheels and highsports. My other half has had highsports and speedlines on one of his rado's and had the coilovers on the lowest setting, with the chinspoiler on the floor, and he had no problems with them.

thanks a lot, with knowledge like this my rado should be on the road in no time!

ok i have found somebody with some mk.4 golf rear calipers, not sure what model there off though, you think they will be ok??

also are the corrado rears the same as mk.3 golf rears?

thanks a lot, with knowledge like this my rado should be on the road in no time!

ok i have found somebody with some mk.4 golf rear calipers, not sure what model there off though, you think they will be ok??

also are the corrado rears the same as mk.3 golf rears?

It should say on the caliper, failing that ot should say on the piston what size the mk4 calipers are.

Im pretty sure the mk3 golf rears are the same.

my highsports just arived from venom, cant wait to get them fitted.

i also have found somebody local breaking a mk.4 golf, but its a gti does anybody know if these rear calipers will fit the corrado?

i cant use my vr for referance either as its stuck at work and im off with a broken wrist so im just trying to get all the parts i need together for now.

and one final question, seeing as i gotta do rear calipers and drop the axle for the exhaust i might as well do the axle bushes while im at it right?

the question is, can i change the bushes without this special VAG tool i saw in the knowledge base thing?