Sign in to follow this  
arcticlittlemonkey

New G60 Owner Springs or coils?

Hi all

Right im a first time poster, long time reader, so bear with me

After a bit of saving and a drop in my insurance premiums, ive finally got myself a g60, its in excellent orginal condition and dont want to mod it too much, but im finding the wheels look a bit lost in the arches, now im new to lowering and suspension so i was looking for a bit of advice on dropping the car about 40mm, coilover or spring kit and what brands work best, i have had my eye on bilstein b12 shocks with the h&r springs, would they be any good? Thanks for reading, and i apprieciate your replys.

Oh i think i need a new passager side electric window switch, the window will go down but wont go back up, but it will when controlled from the drivers side up and down. I've looked about for a replacement but havent found on yet.

Thanks again

ad

Hi arcticlittlemonkey, welcome to Postville :)

There are loads of posts in the Suspension Discussion thread: http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... discussion - have a read there. However, I've been doing some research lately into the same kind of suspension as you are considering...

I ordered a Corrado B12 kit (Bilstein dampers and matched H&R springs) before Christmas for £490 inc. delivery, but the supplier was told by Bilstein that the kit was discontinued, apparently due to lack of interest :( :x

You can still buy the B12 dampers and H&R springs separately, but the kit was heavily subsidised, so the current option costs nearer £650 :|

The reasons that I wanted the B12s were: I had great previous experience with Bilstein dampers, 40mm drop is adequate (don't have a dropped kerb outside the house!), I don't need the adjustability of coilovers, B12 monotubes seem to be very high quality and hard wearing units, H&R springs are well regarded.

Now that the parts for the B12 kit are more or less out of my budget, I am considering the H&R Cup Kit (actually made for Mk2 Golf), which has two spring options, 35mm all round or 60mm/40mm front/back drops. If you are also after improved handling within a fixed budget, you might want to consider a slightly less expensive suspension kit with an anti-roll bar fitted as well - this would/could give you better handling and cornering than a dampers+springs upgrade alone (willing to be corrected on this one by those with more experience)!

Coilovers will allow you to adjust the ride height to your exact specification (within the limits of the unit), and may also allow you to tailor the 'feel' of the ride, depending on the features of the particular coilie (usually related to how much you spend!). For me, I don't do any track days (yet), and all my driving is on the road and pretty samey in terms of road surface quality, so I'd be happy with a preset kit (non-coilie).

The Cup kit from H&R uses dampers made for them by Bilstein anyway, so could be considered as a lower cost relative of the B12 kit, which might allow me to get an ARB at the same time :D

Have a look at some of the pictures on the 'show us your drops' thread: http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... your+drops to gauge how low you want to go. 8)

As for your passenger window switch, mine does that too... :scratch: think i might need to take out the switch and give the contacts a good clean! Anyone else know what it could be?

Let us know what you decide to get, and post some pics in the Members Gallery :wink: