Sign in to follow this  
jazzdevil

Sunroof/Moonroof Seal Repair

The wife drives a '98 Polo SE with a Vermeulen Hollandia glazed sunroof. The seal has split on the leading edge and is now p*ssing water onto the driver's seat and into the footwell.

Having done some research, it appears that these sunroofs were a dealer fit for the SE models rather than a factory fitted at build. This was backed up when the local Stealers told me that the part couldn't be sourced through them.

I've unsuccessfully searched for a spares supplier near me and in the meanwhile I've tried a temp repair using waterproof sealant - with, based on phonecall I've just taken, equally dismal results :(

Does anyone know from experience if the Passat moonroof is the same dimensions as the one fitted to the Polo as if so I can look for one via a breaker.

Thanks.

Sorry to say but aftermarket sunroofs are generally pretty poor quality and as they don't have the drain system of a factory roof they're all the more prone to leaks.

It won't have any VAG components and a passat glass roof is basically like a factory Corrado roof, so that wont be of any help.

Best bet is to search for a similar roof from a breakers or fit another aftermarket roof of the same size or bigger that is either new or in reasonable nick, aftemarket roofs were popular about 10-15 yrs ago so there's plent of choice in scrap yards.

Pull a bit of the old seal off to get an idea of the cross sectional shape.

I put a new seal on my moon roof, and the dealer supplied unit was a bit too long, I guess if the seal is the right shape and the size roughly the same, you should be alright. A rubber mallet and lots of soapy water will help fitting the new seal.

Chances are that it'll be a differently shaped seal though.

Good news mate, a little Googling and appears to be a Webasto sub-division. So you might be able to get the seals from them.

Here's their web-site: Webasto

Good news mate, a little Googling and appears to be a Webasto sub-division. So you might be able to get the seals from them.

Here's their web-site: Webasto

cheers fella - i've emailed one of Webasto's south coast reps to see if there's anything doing... otherwise i'm going to get some sheet steel and weld the sucker shut before i get any more grief! :lol: