Sign in to follow this  
tandino

ABS Warning light wiring

Hi Guys

Got a problem with the ABS on my 95 Vr6.

Warning light is on,

Sensor resistances check out ok,

Cleaned all multiplugs with contact cleaner.

Previous owner informed me car was vag com'd at JMR and came up clear.

Ive since had the actual warning light out of the dash - later BA code smooth one and the corresponding loom to the light has me a tad confused.

There are two multiplugs, one is a black with 5 pins, the other is a red 2 pin plug, thing is the red two pin doesnt actually have any contacts within the ABS light.

Cant really understand why VW have gone to the trouble of making a loom up for no reason.

Can someone satisfy my curiosity and inform me if this is correct or get a picture of their ABS lights pins?

Cheers Pete.

Mine has the same wires as yours. but he light never comes on. Lol...

So does your red 2 pin plug actually connect to anything in the warning lamp?

yep mine works as it should and i noticed the red block connects to ambsolutly nothing weird!

Sounds like good old VW.

Guess its back to the drawing board.

Checking the fuses and ABS relays tomorrow night then!

Could be a rear wheel sensor ring loose omn the disc too if its intermittent.

You need to get it on VAGCOM really as if the light is on then it must be throwing an error code.

Could be a rear wheel sensor ring loose omn the disc too if its intermittent.

You need to get it on VAGCOM really as if the light is on then it must be throwing an error code.

Its not intermitent! - its on all the time.

JMR have cleaned and replaced the speed sensors and pick up rings.

Ive also done a resistnace check on all sensors at the ECU loom so i know these are all ok.

Next step is the ABS fuse and relays.

Only problem is ive done my back in and im now signed off for a week! :shock:

Hi

No. Can I make a request. When you are working on the ABS relays, will you please take some photos of the relays and the holders, the colors of the wires to the holder and the pin numbers on the relays and the connectors.Cheers.

Hi Guys

Got a problem with the ABS on my 95 Vr6.

Warning light is on,

Sensor resistances check out ok,

Cleaned all multiplugs with contact cleaner.

Previous owner informed me car was vag com'd at JMR and came up clear.

Ive since had the actual warning light out of the dash - later BA code smooth one and the corresponding loom to the light has me a tad confused.

There are two multiplugs, one is a black with 5 pins, the other is a red 2 pin plug, thing is the red two pin doesnt actually have any contacts within the ABS light.

Cant really understand why VW have gone to the trouble of making a loom up for no reason.

Can someone satisfy my curiosity and inform me if this is correct or get a picture of their ABS lights pins?

Cheers Pete.

Think its for an engine check light

Well ive just bought both the ABS relays from VAG, one works out at 11 quid and one is 13 quid.

Fingers crossed now but seeing as im not even getting a click from either relay when i turn the ignition on and the ABS pump is totally silent im hoping its a relay/power supply issue......

when i turn the ignition on and the ABS pump is totally silent ......

Hi

Can you put up a picture of the engine showing the ABS pump and things close to it.

when i turn the ignition on and the ABS pump is totally silent ......

Hi

Can you put up a picture of the engine showing the ABS pump and things close to it.

Back of engine back near bulkhead underneath the expansion tank - you cant miss it!

Also realys are behind glovebox, you need to remove the lower passenger side dash panel and look up behind the glovebox area - again you cant miss them!

Well ive just bought both the ABS relays from VAG, one works out at 11 quid and one is 13 quid.

Fingers crossed now but seeing as im not even getting a click from either relay when i turn the ignition on and the ABS pump is totally silent im hoping its a relay/power supply issue......

Check that you are getting power to the ABS pump - its a 4 connection multiplug on the end of the ABS pump. Check continuity from the 4 in plug back to the relays. Also check the ABS controller - make sure it isn't water damaged.

Sorted.

Relays werent clicking on ignition on so led to believe U/S - obviously pump was not priming on ignition on due to no supply from relays.

New relays from VW arrived this morning.

First impressions are favourable - not been out for a drive yet but the relays are clicking on ignition on, ABS light comes on and and dims slightly as pump primes and the ABS light goes out.

Off for a drive now but ive got a smile on my face 8)