Sign in to follow this  
G60Dan

Forge Intercooler

leigh, that would be fantastic mate.

Pic's of the intercooler & pipe work would be great!!! I want to get all my options on the table in front of me b4 I decide on what to go for, so that would be very helpful

Also I remember there being some kind of de-sizing of the pipes - coming in to & out of the intercooler. Do you have the sizes please?

Thanks

Dan

the intercooler i used was the alloy intercooler universal type 2 610x160x74mm, i then used 2 90-deg reducing elbows bore size 60x51mm to & from the intercooler to my home made steel piping, then 1 90-deg elbow from piping to throttle body, to fit the intercooler in i had to remove the front panel stiffner just behind the grill, then the plastic ducting bolted to the rad, then make up some brackets to bolt the intercooler to the rad, the rad is still in its original place, it is a tight fit either side of the rad but is in the perfect place right behind the grill, only had to remove the bumper to fit, will get some pics tomorrow when it stops raining

By stiffener, do you mean the V shaped bit where the horns are bolted onto?

Humm, I've been looking into this as a mounting position for a front mount too... I'd be interested to see what yours looks like too... 8)

it makes sense as a place to mount it!

just in the line of the air intake, did it make any differance to the power from the car?

dont know about hp gain before & after as i have never had it rolling roaded, but the car definatly felt stronger especialy at low revs, alot more torque { even my wife noticed it felt different } posted some pic in members gallery under my yellow g60

Here's a picture of my Volvo T5 intercooler before I modified it. It is the same width as shown, but has has about an inch taken off the top. The outlet comes out between the radiator and the chassis rail, below where the battery tray overhangs and above the thermoswitch on the radiator. The ends where fabricated from 2mm aluminium and welded on. It has been on there over a year now with no signs of leaks and the boost guage reads 17psi on a good day, so if it was going to burst it would have done so by now.

Richard Bloomfield

the intercooler i used was the alloy intercooler universal type 2 610x160x74mm, i then used 2 90-deg reducing elbows bore size 60x51mm to & from the intercooler to my home made steel piping, then 1 90-deg elbow from piping to throttle body, to fit the intercooler in i had to remove the front panel stiffner just behind the grill, then the plastic ducting bolted to the rad, then make up some brackets to bolt the intercooler to the rad, the rad is still in its original place, it is a tight fit either side of the rad but is in the perfect place right behind the grill, only had to remove the bumper to fit, will get some pics tomorrow when it stops raining

So does that mean your I/C is between the grill and the rad?

Won't that restrict the airflow to the rad and increase the risk of overheating?

I have looked at the images of the cars with the bumpers off and it seems more sensible to mount the intercooler,if possible,below the rad and behind the bumper,with a cut-out.or an RS bumper.

I've been interested in doing this mod as well,but with limited know-how and little engineering experience(and without taking a week off work to get the car to one of the guys here)it looks like I'll have to stick with the original. :roll:

yes inbetween rad and grill, made no difference to water temps what so ever, only covers top half of rad, bottom still in the fresh air, i did mine like this so i could keep car looking original, from the outside at least.

yes inbetween rad and grill, made no difference to water temps what so ever, only covers top half of rad, bottom still in the fresh air, i did mine like this so i could keep car looking original, from the outside at least.

Cool 8)

(no pun intended!)

Work in progress today. Didn't even have to take off the front bumper. Fit in perfectly beside Darren's handywork on my charger.

Having probs uploading images!!!! :x :x :x

That looks very similar to my own installation except that the outlet from mine is lower down, below the battery tray, yours looks higher, are you having to re-site the battery? also mine is very slightly wider towards the drivers side, it's really hard to get the pipe work to fit, especially if you are making the whole thing up as you go. I had a load of pipe, a load of Samcos and a hacksaw.

Looks good, you will find you coolant temperatures drop by about 10degrees due to the much lower intake temperatures, so even though the rad is partially restricted the head stays cooler.

forcefed_vw,

The Intercooler fits neatly, battery still fits in original position. I've had to buy a couple of pipes from VW and my mechanic has had to make some up himeslf also. The reason I didn't go for the Samco's was that anywhere I rang was giving me a 2-3 week wait. I actually didn't realise the extra cost of the pipes!

Baz

Samco are terrible to get hold of. I waited nearly 7 weeks for on of the elbows I used and it was only a standard 90degree 2.5" in blue!

The rest I did all right with, £23 for the intercooler, fabrication work, free, aluminium pipes rolled and swaged at work for free, spigot thing for the air mass sensor, free, Samcos.....£120!!!