Sign in to follow this  
BigD

9x16 borbets on a vr

ive bought some 9x16 borbets to go on my vr, the rears fit fine 8) but the fronts hit the calipers :( what size spacers have people used ? and where do i get longer studs from.

cheers dave.

anyone ? i have search, just cant ind anything on websites other than 4 stud bolts which i beleave to be smaller.

Whats the ET on your fronts?.

Not the same rim but similar in profile ie Dish size, i ran Schmidt modernlines in 9x16 on my VR Highline and they were ET15 on the front to clear the calipers to give you some idea.....

there et15 aswell mate thats why i thought they'd go straight on, ive bought spacers but that will bring them out to et5 lol , and hope fully my bolts will be here tomorow.

You can get longer bolts from most motor factors. You would possibly need to space the fronts out by about 8mm. You could get 5mm spacers and then get the calipers shaved down by 3mm. I have 7.5 et20 borbet a's on the front of mine so it's not as bad as yours but I originally had 5mm spacers on there. I then got the calipers down by 3mm - worked a treat.

You can get longer bolts from most motor factors. You would possibly need to space the fronts out by about 8mm. You could get 5mm spacers and then get the calipers shaved down by 3mm. I have 7.5 et20 borbet a's on the front of mine so it's not as bad as yours but I originally had 5mm spacers on there. I then got the calipers down by 3mm - worked a treat.

any chance of a pic mate ? ive managed to get bolts, but with them being 10mm out the treads to far out now and it looks crap tbh, ive been told mk3 golf vr6 calipers are different but im not so sure.

if i could get away with a few mm less it wouldnt be to bad.

any chance of a pic mate ? ive managed to get bolts, but with them being 10mm out the treads to far out now and it looks crap tbh, ive been told mk3 golf vr6 calipers are different but im not so sure.

if i could get away with a few mm less it wouldnt be to bad.

The later mk3 vr6 calipers came with 288mm disks with a bigger piston in the caliper.

What exactly did you want pics of? The shaved calipers? You can't really see it unless you are comparing it up against another standard caliper and the only spare I have is burried in a box somewhere. They are just shaved by 3mm on the face of the caliper.

Hope this helps.

on my calipers it has a bar that gose from top to bottom of the caliper which is causing my problems, ive highlighted it here :lol:

5c92_1.jpg

is that what you shaved ?

The bar needs to be shaved about 2mm lower than being flush with the caliper. Then take that 2mm off the face of tat caliper also.

an that will be safe :shock: if so, thanks very much :D

next job is to get a rad :(

If you do it right yes it will be safe :lol:

nice mate cheers 8) looks enoghu room to clear without any spacers at all :D

cheers again.

dave

well ive done on side :lol: took me a few hours as a lot of trying the wheel shaving the caliper was repeated

but these are the results :shock:

before

2222693703_44fe326e93.jpg?v=0

now :lol:

2222693681_db7b39ff9b.jpg?v=0

but it fits now, although there was a little catching i have to sort.