Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Head Gasket/Core Plug

My engine is losing coolant, it drives perfectly with no issues.

A local mech has had a brief look and said from where it seems to be coming from it could be the head gasket or possibly the core plug???

It's going back on wednesday so he can take the underneath cover etc off to have a proper look.

Could I have head gasket problems (just losing coolant, no oil anywhere that can be seen etc) even though the engine drives perfectly? Are there any signs that are obvious?

All this after spending £769 on the chuffing thing!

Cheers!

What engine fella ?

I know with the VR you can see them weep from the head gaskit.... look to the left of the belt tensioner and follow the head / block join round to the back of the engine.

It's not a weep, more of a pissing out!

It'll lose 2 litres within 20mins. I'm not convinced my local mech was right TBH, if my headgasket was that bad surely the engine wouldn't be running perfectly!

Oh, and yes its the VR!

Well it's at Awesome (again!) today and for the week.

They're sure it's either the gasket for or a crack in the housing for the ECU Blue Temp sensor.

As it happened when they were working on it they said they'd sort it out price wise too!

I cant see how it would lose that much water from a gone headgasket without you knowing about it! The side bit that weeps is nothing, if it was to go it would be between the coolant channels leaking water into the chambers meaning you would be getting a lot of white smoke out the exhaust and the rear windscreen would be misted up all the time. Its most like the stat housing which is easy to change.