Sign in to follow this  
GreasyWeasel

Another leaky footwell

Ladies and gentlemen,

I have a very serious leak coming into the passenger side footwell (front and back), which left about 1/4 of an inch of standing water in there the other day. I've had this problem before and it comes and goes. I park on a 'decline' as has been suggested on here but it happened again the other day so it's time to act! The problem is I've got no mechanical knowledge whatsoever so having read the previous threads I need a pointer or two. The scuttle that is frequently the issue... hopefully the picture of it has uploaded, how can you see if the seal is buggered? I couldn't see a thing?

All help welcomed.

Pour a little water round there and see if it dribbles down under the seal!

If it does, a new one is cheap from VW - just pick the old one off, clean any glue residue off, and then stick the new gasket on.

Whats that black pipe going through the scuttle cover and seal. It isn't going to seal with that there is it?

Or am I missing something

Al

Whats that black pipe going through the scuttle cover and seal. It isn't going to seal with that there is it?

Al

Have to agree there that can't be standard, what's it for??? I'd get a new/2nd hand left guard it's got a hole in the top too!!!!

Al

Ive a similar thread going and mine had a cable like that but it had been routed through the mesh rather than through the seal. Another member (Rick) kindly pointed out that it was the supply to the air con recirculator. So if you have air con I guess that what it is.

Like others have said it won't seal like that and when you change the seal you should not put the cable under the new seal.

You can pour water around the area to see if its leaking but the only way to visually see if the seals knackered is to remove the foliage grill and look at the seal on the underside. Mine was knackered.

When i replaced mine, I also put some sealent round the outside of the foliage grill.

Cheers chaps,

I've got a mate who's in the know about such things and we're going to have a look later this week. He has tools and knowledge (both of which I'm sadly lacking) so I'll keep you posted. Are there any Birmingham area Rad owners that meet up from time to time? I could do with a few extra brains to pick about such things in the future.