Sign in to follow this  
Chris

drive shaft question (anorexic drive shaft)

FYI on my standard VR6 the drivers side driveshaft is a fair bit fatter than the the other side which looks similar thickness to the one above.

would love to comment, but i can't see the photo above.

The photo in the post a number of posts prior to my post, - i.e. on the first page of the thread. The only photos currently in this thread, or to put it another way: the photos of the driveshaft which this thread is all about. :D

In fact my driveshaft looks to have almost twice the diameter of that spindly silver one, and narrows at either end to the CVs.

Ohhh I see, I commented on that already!

Doesn't matter if your driveshaft is as thick as a tree, if it narrows then THAT is the weakest point and the torque transmission will only be as much as the narrowest part can cope with.

I still say that shaft is fine, they're solid steel and as already pointed out steel is fookin strong.

If you REALLY want I can calculate how much torque you can put through that bar (given the diameter) without it twisting/shearing/deforming but it'll be in Newton metres.

Doesn't matter if your driveshaft is as thick as a tree, if it narrows then THAT is the weakest point and the torque transmission will only be as much as the narrowest part can cope with.

I agree thats the weak point, but AFAIK the driveshaft with the larger diameter that thins at the ends will deflect less under load than the small one.

Its academic anyway really as unless you encounter any problems I doubt theres any point in swapping them. VW over-engineering again - I'd expect the CV would give way before the driveshaft snaps!

yeah you're right, deflection will be reduced with a thicker shaft cos it won't flex as much.

imho, VW have always undertuned their engines and over-engineered everything else for reliability!