Sign in to follow this  
Vavavaughan

Accident damage - insurance write off

Hi I'm new to the forum. I own a 93 VR6, only having done 113,000 miles and regularly maintained by those good men at Stealth racing. Unfortunately a double decker London bus glanced the off-side rear last week and my insurers have said the vehicle is written off. I consider the damage to be quite slight in terms of what hit it and it's perfectly driveable. As all these fantastic cars are potentially vulnerable to this problem, I just wondered if anyone can share any similar experiences and offer any advice? Thanks look forward to hearing from you.

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your car. I can't speak from direct personal experience on this, but my dad had a similar situation some years back on a polo.

It comes down to how much you want to keep that car, and how much hassle / effort you can put up with. I'm assuming that this is a no fault accident, and you're claiming from the bus company (but I know they can be gits to claim from). Anyway, if it's the other insurance that's ultimately paying for this then you can probably argue to have the car repaired as long as it's not ridiculous cost wise. Do you have any quotes for a repair? And have the insurance given you a valuation on the car - could be comparing repair costs against a stupidly low valuation? Could there be less obvious hidden damage?

One option could be to buy the car back for next to nothing if it's written off (and in a suitable category) and pay for the repairs yourself. I guess you'd need an engineers report as well before it can go back on the road.

I'm sure others will reply soon with their thoughts.

Have a look around the forum too, there have been quite a few people who've had the insurance write the cars off (or try to write them off).

Good luck!