Sign in to follow this  
Alexander

Night courses on auto repair?

I've been thinking, I'd quite like to learn a bit more about car mechanics, mainly so I feel more confident doing maintenance on my Corrado - simple stuff like oil changes, brake discs/pads, you know the kind of stuff.

Has anyone done a night course at a local tech etc, or have any experience of this? What do you think of it as an idea? I know some of you will say the best way to learn is just to do it, but my C is my daily driver so I can't really take any risks on messing anything up that will take it off the road. Plus, although I have a garage it's too small to really work in. I just think it would be nice to have some professional guidance on how to do things properly and learn a bit more about how engines work etc.

Any input gratefully received!

I've been trying to find a course like this for years and years. A college I used to work for ran a night course on basic auto repairs (brakes, servicing, etc etc) but closed it due to lack of demand in general for motor trade stuff!

I hear lots of people asking about it so can't understand why they talk about lack of demand!

Excellent, just been checking and my local college (York) do a basic auto maintenance course!

Apparently it covers all the usual servicing bits and pieces, with some theory and all that. Sounds perfect, and starts next month! Bit pricey tho - £222 for an 18 week course but if I can save that in garage bills it'll have paid for itself. Might go for that! :D

Damnit... Coventry used to be a city of automotive excellence and now there isn't even a local college that does basic car maintenance. Its a joke!