Sign in to follow this  
crookesey

slow and weak electric windows

depends whether the motors are dying or not.

if not, you can grease the rails to speed them up a little bit, and take some strain off the motor (Prodigal did this last night) and you can clean the moss/mould out of the window seals so that the friction force from those is reduced?

see if you can find out whether the motors are dying though, do you have a multimeter?

its had all new seals so dont think its that and im sure they were greased when it had the respray so must be the motor . are new motors hard to find or is it some aftermarket ones. cheers

I have the same problem! It is so annoying!! Is it hard to change the motors? :?

I'm pretty sure you can't just change the motor, due to the cable in the gearbox. I'd look out for a decent 2nd hand unit and regrease it (including inside the gearbox before reinstalling it. You'll have to remove the mech from the door to try to remove the motor.

I have the same problem! It is so annoying!! Is it hard to change the motors? :?

I'm pretty sure you can't just change the motor, due to the cable in the gearbox. I'd look out for a decent 2nd hand unit and regrease it (including inside the gearbox before reinstalling it. You'll have to remove the mech from the door to try to remove the motor.

cable in the gaer box? :? Sounds confussin! Would it b worth gettin the door card of and try 2 grease up the 1 on there? Or is it not that easy??

Basically you have the window mech with a plastic slider that moves up and down a rail and 2 arms attached to it so that the window moves up and down evenly.

Attached to the plastic slider is a loop of cable which passes through plastic 90 degree bends at the top and bottom of the slider rail. The cable then passes into a gearbox with a reel which the cable is wrapped around. As the reel turns one way or the other the slider is pulled up or down the rail.

The cable is only exposed between the two ends of the rail, and is difficult to grease at these points, and to be honest, I'm not sure how useful greasing this section is.

Reasons for the motor struggling can include the 90 degree bends on the rail degrading and having slots worn in them, corrosion of the cable, the cable getting tangled on the reel, or the teeth between the reel and motor being worn.

The reel and cable are greased at the factory, but this grease dries out and stops lubricating the cable.

You can't get at the mech very easily with just the door card off, you need to pull the mech out of the dor (complete pain in the ass). I unscrewed the cover on the gearbox, and packed it with semi fluid grease from mower and power harrow gearboxes which I hope will keep my window mech healthy for a while. Eventually the strain gets too much and the cable will snap or the plastic elbow on the rail breaks off.

Before doing anything check your alternator output!

Should be 13.8 - 14.4 V across the battery terminals with the engine running

This should give you around 12.5V at the window regs

I will get the garage 2 check this then! Didnt think it would b this much of a pain in the arse to sort out! :brickwall:

I will get the garage 2 check this then! Didnt think it would b this much of a pain in the arse to sort out! :brickwall:

Mine are fine going down but slow commin up!