Sign in to follow this  
Sam16v

20v teething problems

Few samll teething problems with my 20v.... Using qpeng on an AUQ engine .Well it runs like a dream at last and goes very well! but my temp gauge reads very high and warning light come on even though engine is not actually that hot! can put finger in coolant when it says 110'! Also my rev counter does not work. Do i need a signal converter as i have a 89-90 16v or is my rev counter just nackered? cant really tell as have aslo changed the clocks as rev counter needle was missing on old ones

believe the 20v rev signal is digital and 16v is anologue, you need a signal converter but ive heard you can make em with bits from maplin for about £5, i need to know how to make aswell as just converted my mates mk2 to 20vt

30ohm resistor for the temp guage and that will bring it back in line

you need to make sure you have the rev counter wire in the right block in the fuse board. the corrado clocks should all have the same rev counter

awesome 30 ohm resitor it is then! rev counter is still baffling me though may have to try and find another set of second hand clocks. Am getting a signal out of the ecu as i have a dwell gauge which i connected to the tacho connection which gives the rpm perfectly. oh and loving the 20v by the way only done 7 miles but it flies!

its the purple wire on the 4 pin temp gauge, the wire that goes to the clocks that needs the resistor.

you need to find some wiring diagrams that will tell you where the rev counter needs to be wired into the clocks. i cant remember off the top of my head where it goes. ill have a look at my wiring diagrams over the weekend

on my ecu there is only one wire for the temperature gauge as i am running qpeng management

def dont put a resistor in there! its only the clocks that are reading wrong, not the ecu

i got the rev counter wire,black with red tracer, from standard mk2 golf loom, dont know where to connect on mk4 loom for signal for revs??

i got the rev counter wire,black with red tracer, from standard mk2 golf loom, dont know where to connect on mk4 loom for signal for revs??

are you using a qpeng set up? if so, the rev counter wire is derived from the ecu. ive converted from a g60, so the rev counter was also derived from the ecu, so joined the two together

no, i just joined the 2 standard looms together cut n shut style

nice. i couldnt be bothered with that route. in that case, i would imagine that the rev counter signal is still derived from the ECU, but as to which pin ive nop idea, wiring diagram time

well thanks for your help 8)

im going to take that as a genuine thanks rather than sarcastic! :)

im afraid that without looking at some mk4 golf wiring diagrams, i couldnt identify the rev counter wire. it will come out of the ecu somewhere, just not sure where.

did you manage to sort out the temp guage wire?

sorry to hi-jack a little, but my temp gauge reads low? has done since its been in i think, i changed the gauge to see if it was that cos i had a spare lying around but it wasnt that. anyone have any ideas as to what resistances/voltages should be present from the temp sender at any point?

and where do people usually put the resistor? thanks