Sign in to follow this  
bristolbaron

Insane in the [door] membrane..

I've had a water leak in the car for a while now and stripped the carpets to find a slight leak from the heater foliage cover and from the passenger door.

I've got a replacement seal on order for the foliage cover, so that bit's sorted. However, i've just taken the door card off to check the membrane and it's missing!!

I was going to go down the route of sticking it back down or making a rubble sack replacement, however as i dont have a template i don't know how much to cover.

Is it worth using the drivers side as a guide, or are replacements actually available from VW? I'm guess i may now be better off buying a new one.

Also, the smelly green stuff under the carpet - are replacements available of that?

Cheers

Baz.

Depends how much you want to spend mate?

Did mine at the weekend as the passenger side one was missing. Bought some plasitc sheeting and waterproof tape from DIY shop all in for £5.

Would use the doorcard as a rough guide, just so you don't end up putting it back on and finding that your plastic/tape overhangs or sticks out.

Depends how much you want to spend mate?

Did mine at the weekend as the passenger side one was missing. Bought some plasitc sheeting and waterproof tape from DIY shop all in for £5.

Would use the doorcard as a rough guide, just so you don't end up putting it back on and finding that your plastic/tape overhangs or sticks out.

not bothered on cost really, just dont want to have wet carpets again! hadnt thought of using the door cards, could remember if theres anything in there that shouldn't be covered..

Yeah VW sell it in black foam rolls for a fiver - you have to cut to shape tho...

so is it quite different to the original stuff? I can get hold of some sort or sticky back foam from work [for bmw's] i guess this would be the same stuff now?

I had missing door membranes too! Only done the passenger side so far, used a rubble sack, gaffa it to the top then cut round with a sharp blade, then used sealant to stick it down then tape round all the edges. Pretty neat job, and there's no way anything's coming through that!

Still got a leak tho... from somewhere... :(

I had missing door membranes too! Only done the passenger side so far, used a rubble sack, gaffa it to the top then cut round with a sharp blade, then used sealant to stick it down then tape round all the edges. Pretty neat job, and there's no way anything's coming through that!

Still got a leak tho... from somewhere... :(

i ended up pulling up all the carpets, underlay and everything, so it was easy to see where the leaks were coming from. pain to do, and not looking forward to putting it all back, but with just a drivers seat the cars much quicker!!

i had water getting into the drivers side matwell making the whole lot smelly and windows steaming up every time there was any water about , i had all the carpets out , new door seal 48 quid and a whole heep of grief only to later track it down to a water membrane not correctly replaced after work had been done, some meat head obviously could nt be bothered or didnt think it necessary