Sign in to follow this  
L100PY_H

Engine rebuild...help please!

Right, the time has come to start thinking about rebuilding my 1.8 16v KR series engine as she's now at 155k miles and although i have no problems to speak of, there is a definate oil leak just above the gearbox and it uses a little more water than it should (headgasket not gone though).

What i'd like to know is A) what sort of parts do you recommend changing/upgrading whilst the engine is out/apart (will do the clutch, headgasket, cam belt, sump seal and rocker seal), will also get the head skimmed and rebuilt. B) Does anybody know anyone who can do this at a reasonable cost with good reputation, and finally C) what sort of money am i looking at?

I know its lots of questions but any help greatly appreciated!! :lol:

I dont have much experience with the vw engines, but i do have a bit with vauxhalls, redtops etc

i would say, give her a good going over, take her to bits, take the flywheel out, get it lightend (use new bolts), and then have the whole crank assembly complete with flywheel clutch etc balanced(and re-ground if needed) local engineering place should be able to do that for you, i just had my G60 one done, cost me £200 which included new oversized bearings for the bottom end

some new rings and possibly a re-hone, but you would have to inspect the block to see if it needs one, while the heads off, get new gaskets can get these from GSF,you can get a full head kit, and new sump gasket.

Dremel out the ports on the head + inlet and exhaust fanimolds, matching these to the new gaskets, as youve gone this far, mite aswel treat her to a new water+oil pump.(would personaly say get VW ones)

The heads are pretty simple to rebuild, get her acid dipped to clean it up, and re-lap the valves, you shudnt really need to get it skimmed, but that shud be £20 odd

New cambelt kit, new bolts etc...

rough idea of prices..this is for my g60

new bolts, rings, seals etc - £250-300

crank balance+lighten flywheel + hone- £200

head kit - £80

vr6 clutch - £80

oil pump - £120 i think it was???

windage tray(sump gasket) - £21

it does all add up, although id look at doing a vauxhall boys trik and using bike carbs if you can 8)

Ravi, cheers mate! TBH i don't know THAT much about VW engines, as vxl is my domain too (2.0 redtops are far more familiar to me and i have an x25xev in my vectra) but i know what you mean.

I was going to do the oil and water pumps as i think the water one may be the source of my water leak but as the bottom end isn't knocking i didn't know wether to touch it?

As before, really appreciate all the advice. Although i don't feel 100% confident bolting it all back together properly, esp timing it all up.

Steve.

Does anyone else have any advice/tips, like what sensors etc would be best changed to save more work later on? Every input/reply greatly appreciated folks!!!