Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

17-18" wheels and wide - what are the possibilities?

I want to change my wheels on my vr. I have a wide track front end and narrow rear beam.

Im using 4stud 16v pdc hubs at the moment but can easily convert to 5 stud vr pdc hubs. Arches have already been rolled and the car is on coilovers

Currently on BK299 17" wheels which fit well and dont rub at all even on full lock, the back tyes is very close to the spring though

I want the largest width wheels I can fit to the front and rear and also want to go larger diameter, I think 18" is about big enough.

What I need to figure out is what ET the wheels need to be to make them fit well. Like I said I have naarow rear beam fitted to the rear of the car so I would geuse I could change the ET of the wheel to bring them further out towards the arch and therefore go for wider wheels?

basically i need an explanaition of offsets and some pictures of peoples cars with large wide tyres and details of the best et and size combo.

thanks

doing some research ive come up with this, need some feedback

18"x8" et 30 for the front

18"x8.5" et 20 for the rear

currently i have 17"x7"(i think) et 38, and this is what ive masured the clearance to be roughly

front inner clearance on full lock is about 10mm and clearance to the arch is about 10-15mm (when pointing straight)

rear clearance to the shock spring is about 5mm and to the arch is about 25-30mm

anyone think this will work? is it safe too?

thanks

hi why is it you want to run 18s , i can understand the staggered offsets as the rear track is always less than the front and i think it looks odd too, lots of cars are like it , i run 7.5" wide with et35 front and et 25 rear and they sit spot on

doing some research ive come up with this, need some feedback

18"x8" et 30 for the front

18"x8.5" et 20 for the rear

currently i have 17"x7"(i think) et 38, and this is what ive masured the clearance to be roughly

front inner clearance on full lock is about 10mm and clearance to the arch is about 10-15mm (when pointing straight)

rear clearance to the shock spring is about 5mm and to the arch is about 25-30mm

anyone think this will work? is it safe too?

thanks

Thats going to put your car up fairly high to avoid any kind of contact. Your going to need to do some work on your fenders.

Its going to look strange unless the car is low.

Thats going to put your car up fairly high to avoid any kind of contact. Your going to need to do some work on your fenders.

Its going to look strange unless the car is low.

i think ill change the et using spacers, like I said the arches are already rolled (inners may touch but go no idea)

Ill try and find someone with wheels that have similar spec and trial fit them to my car.

have you had a car that catches?, its the most cringe worth and annoying noise ever!

ive had 2 cars that have done it, i changed from 15's that caught when lowered on a clio, to 17'2 then to 16's and they all caught, still makes me cringe now lol

then i had 17's on the bravo, put 18's on and it caught, got the arches sorted and it solved it but its still the most annoying thing ever! lol

i personally wouldnt go bigger than 17 on a C, think it might start to have the matchbox car look about it :o

yes i have had the arches catch on my golf, was lowered and did have big guys in it. but still want to see what i can fit under my arches.

im now thinkg 17x8" and 17x8.5" any one running this? I dont want to stretch the tyres and i dont like the look really

hi why is it you want to run 18s , i can understand the staggered offsets as the rear track is always less than the front and i think it looks odd too, lots of cars are like it , i run 7.5" wide with et35 front and et 25 rear and they sit spot on

my rear track is even less than standard due to the 16v rear beam and the vr6 front wishbones. I want to fit wider tyres, not so fussed on going larger diameter

my rear track is even less than standard due to the 16v rear beam and the vr6 front wishbones. I want to fit wider tyres, not so fussed on going larger diameter

i would definately go with wider tyres than diameter corrados look much better with a nice meaty wheel on the back ,but i am not a fan of the stretched look