Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Selling vs Splitting

is there more money splitting a corrado then trying to sell it at the moment

how do you work out a rough amount it would be worth.

what are the main desirable parts that sell quickly?

i know the recaro leather would fetch a decent amount, its very good condition with no wear. £900?

aircon system? is that worth much?

not saying i'm doing this, just curious at the mo

Definitely think that breaking the car for parts will get you more money than selling it intact right now, but it's lot more effort and heartache - just ask mrbeige...

Leather Recaros seem to be one of those things that everyone says they want, but few actually buy, if that makes sense! :? Isn't Dinkus trying to sell his still?

Was just thinking that if I went abroad to work/live for a while, I would want to fit aircon to my C, but that's a bit of a pipedream!

You may as well keep it, it's more hassle than it's worth to sell/strip it :D

Definitely think that breaking the car for parts will get you more money than selling it intact right now, but it's lot more effort and heartache - just ask mrbeige...

Leather Recaros seem to be one of those things that everyone says they want, but few actually buy, if that makes sense! :? Isn't Dinkus trying to sell his still?

Was just thinking that if I went abroad to work/live for a while, I would want to fit aircon to my C, but that's a bit of a pipedream!

You may as well keep it, it's more hassle than it's worth to sell/strip it :D

Yep, it is a lot of effort and heart-ache, and I would say that there are more and more breakers out there now, so prices seem to be going down as the supply increases. I still have loads of mine left and started breaking at the beginning of November!!

If yours has Recaros and Air-con, it'd fetch more than a normal Rado anyway. Don't break a perfectly good car. (Coming from me who did that, although needs at the time required it :( )

I dont think you should split this..

A one that isnt so good is worth more oney in parts, headlights, fogs, leather, brakes, engine with plastics etc will sell..

I think this one is too tidy for that and with the spec it has i dont necesarily think its going to be worth more money. Not everything will sell and youll be able to sell some things 5 times over..

i don't think it will get broken just yet, will have to see what future holds, everything seems to be wearing out on it at the mo and by the time i add on dodgy steering fix, maybe new rack and column, a bit of paint work, sorting the brakes out, engine is on 160,000 now . Just seems like a never ending list of things to do, then something else will break :(

corrado prices seems at a low at the moment, when i was looking to buy there were only 26 on pistonheads, now its nearer 100 :!

Well just do what i am trying to do to mine, over time replace everyting and itll be good as new and then at the end paint it so it looks the part, job done..

It is an ongoing process, 160k isnt the end of the world, rebuild or put something else in if you feel the need...

i do like having a to-do list, it makes the car more personnal if you've put the time and effort into it, something to be proud about.

its more the funds than anything at the moment. i bought an old landrover last week and thats going to suck up some money

Break the Landy then! :lol:

If it's not damaged to BER then don't break it.

I can remeber th days when rough Splits were fetching under 1k and now my mate bought an accident damaged one that we've been working since October on for 4.5K and even rough examples with a MOT fetch close to 5 figures! Really good ones can command more than a new Golf GTi! :shock:

Consequently Bays and even Wedges have gone up, try and find a good condition Wedge for less than £1500 these days... and I've seen Bays break the 5-figure mark recently too!

Prices for Mk2's are on the up (being dragged up by Mk1 prices) and Mk3's are levelling out. Consequently as they rise people will look for "better bang for buck" cars and hopefully from this effect the Humble Rado will drag itself back up.

Because apart from The Corrado and Golf what else VW is there? Plop/Jetty/Pish-rat.... Sultana :shock:

If you cant afford it just lay it up for a while, a few of us on here have had to including myself, was really hard to do it but hey at least i still have it for when.

If you cant imagine laying it up then you will def not sell it or break it.

I had the same dilema with mine, whether to sell up and buying something else, break it etc. At the time i had a knackered front wing, a dent in the roof, a throttle problem, a knackered master cylinder, and no MOT. So at the time it was worth sod all as a complete car, even with the rebuilt engine.

But i've decided to stick with it. The master cylinder is being replaced within a few weeks, the throttle problem is being investigated (albeit slowly), and ive raised some money for some bodywork.

If you're struggling for cash i'd store it for a while. Or if you decide to break it i'll be able to get parts easier and the value of mine will increase :lol:

Break the Landy then! :lol:

If it's not damaged to BER then don't break it.

I can remeber th days when rough Splits were fetching under 1k and now my mate bought an accident damaged one that we've been working since October on for 4.5K and even rough examples with a MOT fetch close to 5 figures! Really good ones can command more than a new Golf GTi! :shock:

Consequently Bays and even Wedges have gone up, try and find a good condition Wedge for less than £1500 these days... and I've seen Bays break the 5-figure mark recently too!

Prices for Mk2's are on the up (being dragged up by Mk1 prices) and Mk3's are levelling out. Consequently as they rise people will look for "better bang for buck" cars and hopefully from this effect the Humble Rado will drag itself back up.

Because apart from The Corrado and Golf what else VW is there? Plop/Jetty/Pish-rat.... Sultana :shock:

Er, is there a glossary somewhere, or can someone translate please? :scratch: :help: :confused4: :oops: Thanks :D

i could have split the grey corrado i bought a few weeks back and made some good money, but the car was/is to good to be broken. thats why i have been working on it so my brother can have it.

i would only split one if it was not financially worth the money to get it back into shape.

karl

i would only split one if it was not financially worth the money to get it back into shape

:cheers: Save the Rado!! Well said Karl!

would be sad to see another good one go 3corsameal, hope you manage to find a way to keep it

I can't comprehend just how many cars are being split for parts on this forum lately. Our gain I guess but I just couldn't do it.. there are too few left as it is!

i dont think i could split it in all honesty, seeing as its off the road at the mo i been driving the 306 again and it makes you realise how good the corrado is :D

had a think about it lastnight and not sure i can find any other car for £4-5k that i'd like as much, their really isn't much out there unless you settle for a sporty hatchback :(