Sign in to follow this  
waynos

idle valve polarity

ive just managed to get my car running on megasquirt (1.9 16v turbo), but as i have no idle valve at the moment i have had to open the throttle to keep it going. i now want to hook up the vw idle valve (think its made by vdo - has two wires) ive have already changed the parts needed on the ms2 board but i am now stuck.

does anyone know which pin on the valve itself is positive and which is negative? is the polarity important? i dont wanna risk dmaging anything

I've just had this same problem myself on my standard 2.0L 16V. Previous dork had the leads just pushed into new pins of the ISV plug and not even crimped down. I found out when they slipped out with no way of knowing which they had come out of.

It looks like there is no right or wrong at least on my machine's ISV. The valve is basically an electromagnet with a coil which pulls in a central iron core against a calibrated spring. I posted for advice and got some help but we couldn't come up with anything conclusive, so I just put it back together without looking and it seems fine since.

I'd give it a while for anyone more experienced to offer better advice, but I can't see it being relevant.