Sign in to follow this  
was8v

Early (1992) VR6 ride height

Does anyone have the measurement from the centre of the wheel to the centre of the wheel arch for the front and rear of a standard early VR6 on level ground?

Early VR6's (pre 1994?) had a lower ride height than late ones.

The reason I ask it that my VR6 appears to point slightly nose upwards and from all accounts should point slightly nose down.

Looking at the suspension - the rear springs are red and the fronts black, leading me to believe there are lowering springs fitted to the rear but not the front.

I have a set of suspension on its way from a similar age car but just wanted to check that the front is running at standard height and the rears are indeed lowered.

Cheers.

An extensive forum search has revealed a lot of different ride heights!

The most common measurement that crops up for pre-1994 Corrados (all VR6s, G60s, 8v and 16v are the same) is about 36cm fromt he centre of the wheel to the arch front and rear.

Post-94 cars (16v and VR6) are higher.

If anyone reads this and has an early car on standard suspension that isn't too tired (prob less than 100k best!) and wouldn't mind measuring that would be great.

Have just renewed my shocks with OE units but retained original springs, bilsten rears and boge fronts, 1992 Vr6 , measurement 345mm @ front and 355 @ rear. Stance was much the same before, looking down at the front, hope this helps. By the way what wheels are you on, Monte carlos or speedline?

Thanks for that, it's confirmed my thoughts that lowering springs are fitted to the rear only. How odd.

Mines running on 15" BBS Solitudes from a storm or Mk3 Vr6.

I owned a Storm several years ago and had lowered it and kept the original springs. This sat very high at the back. The Storm went and eventually I bought an earlier VR6 with a much better more level stance. Anyway I replaced the shocks recently and as I still had the springs off the Storm I compared and measured them.

Storm/late VR6 rear springs- 345mm

Earlier VR6 rear spring-325mm

Its surprising how much difference 20mm makes. Had I known when I had my Storm that the earlier rear springs were slightly lower I would have sourced some as I wanted to keep it original and spoilt it with over low and stiff eibach springs.

Storm/late VR6 rear springs- 345mm

Earlier VR6 rear spring-325mm

I take it thats the unfitted uncompressed length of the spring?

Mine measures 355mm front and 320mm rear so my suspicions are confirmed that it has -40 mm springs on the rear.

Standard rears are on the way!

I take it thats the unfitted uncompressed length of the spring?

Mine measures 355mm front and 320mm rear so my suspicions are confirmed that it has -40 mm springs on the rear.

Standard rears are on the way!

Yes , they were measured off the car. Both standard early and late rear springs.