Sign in to follow this  
DrPoth

Help, 2.0l 16v wont start

Hi all i recently bought a corrado when i bought it it was a non starter-no spark, which was the coil so i changed that and all was fine for about 200 miles. I was hearing a knocking on drivers side susspension so i jacked the car up put it on axel stands and found the lower arm was shot but as i didnt have the part i ordered it an left the car on the stands till it arrived i fitted the part lowered the car and it was fine, however i took the car for a drive to test it (only about 5 miles) it seemed to be lacking power. i got the car home and decided it maybe a good idea to take it for a good run. when i got back in it i had trouble starting it, eventually it caught and i thought i was on my way but 2 mins into my trip all power seemed to dissapear and it cut out (right on a speed reduction measure with a car behind and one waitin to come through. Typical!) anyway now the car turns ova and tries to start occasionally it just about starts sounds very rough then cuts out, it has spark and fuel seems to be getting through. it had a new fuel pump a week before i bought it so i doubt its that but never say never. before this when it was working a few times when driving the power seemed to fade as if someone had cut the power to the engine but it would sort of teese me for a sec then spring back to life and carry on as normal. sorry if ive gone on a bit but i thought to much is better than to little (to my relief my missis says thats not always true!)

Hello!

check all the air intake pipes around the airbox for air leaks. I had something similar happen to one of my cars and it was as simple as a loose pipe causing all the probs!

also try using the forum search for "starting / running problems" as there will be loads of info there! :wink:

have you checked the fuel filter?

maybe some muck has settled around the fuel pickup when it was on axle stands and has been sucked into the filter.

Welcome to the forum,

As above may be something disloged when car was in air like the ECU or Fuel Pump relay or plug to Fuel pump or Hall sender on Dizzy / connections to coil etc...

I would have a check of these and then replace both relays and the ignition switch anyway so you know they've been done

Another point is the new coil - several motor factors sell the wrong coil for the 16V and this may not be faulty - worth double checking the part number and winding resistances against a known good or ideally swapping it again.

thanks for that. the ignition swich was changed not to long ago as for the rest i will check. i just tried starting it and it fired straight away tho when i pressed the throttle it started to die then went back to idle normally when i released it. i tried it again but this time i only pressed the throttle slightly and the revs seemed to build up nicely but then same again when i pressed it fully then it cut out and wouldnt start although after a long try it started again but with the same prob :(

hi, again!

checked fuel filter, pump and associated electrical connections checked coil, leads and plugs and all seem fine.

Need some help as im not sure what a "dizzy" is can someone help please?

i dont know if any1 can help but immediatelly to the right of the engine block theres a electrical motor sort of thing with air breather pipes connected to it i aint got a clue what it is but its making a loud buzzing noise when the igition is in the on possition s that right?

Can supply pic if that will help

its the isv it stabalises your idle, it should buzz!

a dizzy is a distributer it is where all of you ht leads go to if you work back from your engine! take the cap off and check the terminals inside and the rotor arm for any wear/ dirt. the distributor is the part that is bolted to the block,

thanks 4 the last post i was worried about the buzzin! i knew a dizzy must be sumin that rotates how thick ami not to figurethat theres so many abreiviations and nick names for parts im still trying to come to termswith them all. :lol: all elec components seem fine ive changed the fuelfilter and checked 4 blockages asfar asthe injectors but am havin trouble removing them ive disconnected the supply pipe but the actual injector just spins and spins any advice would be more than welcome.

as always all help from u guys/girls is very much appreciated thanks!!!!!!!!!

Dean Poth :D

ive tugged and tugged ond no joy am thinkin they have been glue/corroded in ill try again tomoz wen its light and not pisssin down its always easyer then!

thanks dean poth

i tried to get mine out of the 1.8 when i put the 2.0l in mine i snapped ropes trying and they didnt budge lol i just swapped inlet manifold ha ha, but they do pull out i have managed on everyone elses engine i work on :)

Alrite m8 my car did the exact same thing to me found out i had fried the ecu an easy way to test if it is ur ecu is to unplug both the sensors goin to the metering head ( this makes it run at base settings without getting information from the ecu) then start it it should fire up n rev fine but it wont tick ova means ur ecu is fucked m8 try it n let me no how u get on k bud

Alrite m8 my car did the exact same thing to me found out i had fried the ecu

Hi

Is this the TCI switch or the bigger FEI unit ?