Sign in to follow this  
daniboy1_2_3

Exhaust and knackered engine mounts

Hello everyone. When i bought my G60 i noticed that one of the engine mounts was not as stiff as it ought to be and this was causing excessive engine movement when accelerating, and it would make a knocking noise as it rocked. Over a period of time this movement has taken its toll on the whole exhaust system which is now on its last legs. Out of interest i took it to my local exhaust centre who confirmed that the exhaust was shot from the cat rearwards, the most likely cause being the engine mounts. They then quoted me 230 for the centre pipe and back box fitted which was a bit of a shock. Im now thinking my best approach would be to replace all of the engine mounts and the whole exhaust system. Has anyone replaced their engine mounts? What is involved? Also would i be better off buying a stainless steel system if im going to be paying all that money out? Any help appreciated.

Its quite easy mate , your need some big tools ( or a big arm or foot and a mate to hold the bar on the socket) and a trolley jack and your car jack, use the cars jack to push the car up a bit , the trolley jack to lift the motor a bit undo fan on the rad get it out the way.

now you can get to the front mount undo the old mount and fit new one .

you can rase or lower the motor with the trolley jack to help you get the old one out and the new in

Ash

just the front my self that the one that seams to go soft first , i got all the tools here braker bar hard core sockets all 1/2 in drive it will be rusted to the max mate under the car its a 17mm and a 13mm bolts , i had the gear box one done on a mk2 golf before i didnt do this job but it made a better gear change after that .

Ash