Sign in to follow this  
Mikey D

Help please

Hi,

Ive just bought a corrado which needs some work its a '93 plate 2.0 16V.

Problem is i cant find a lambda sensor anywhere or the wiring for it. It has been de-catted but the guy i bought it from said it had an engine change, im wondering if he put a 1.8 16v engine in instead.

So my question is how do i find out what engine has been fitted??

And how do ifind the lambda wiring if it is the correct engine??

Cheers,

Mike.

Welcome to the Forum!

Wiring for the lambda is located down the back of the engine on the left hand side, follow the suspension turret down the leg (standing in front of the car looking at the engine). The plug is mounted on a bracket on top of the rear engine mounting (quite a large 4 pin plug). The wiring should be fitted for that year of car, unless it's been swapped (wiring loom) for a very early k-jet 1.8 as you suspect.

The engine number is on the block see here:

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53671&p=635557&hilit=engine+number+location#p635557

Quite difficult to see, lots of bits in that area (manifold etc).

Thanks for that ive had a look and cant find the wiring or the plug feeling a bit scuppered. I need to put it through an MOT and i dont know what the garage will say.

Did the 1993 2.0 16v engines use K-Jet fuel injection or did they swap to digifant?

Thanks,

Mike

The 2.0 16v had a later version of K-Jet (think its LE or JE?), which has closed loop control that uses a solenoid valve arrangement on the metering head. It effectively adjusts the head pressure and can therefore trim the mixture with a narrowband lambda probe. Digifant was only really used on 8v Golf Jetta etc and the later 8v Corrado had Siemens like the MK3 Golf.

Trouble is if your car was supposed to have this the MOT tester will be looking for Lambda regulation when he calls up the car spec on the emissions machine. If the K-jet is properly setup it'll be nice and clean but won't have active lambda regulation.

Found this text on the limits, it's the lambda value that usually gives the trouble.

4. Exhaust pipe emission-limit values

- Measurement at engine idling speed:

The maximum permissible CO content in the exhaust gases is that stated by the vehicle manufacturer.

Where this information is not available, the maximum CO content must not exceed 0.5 vol%.

- Measurement at high idle speed, engine speed to be at least 2000 rmp:

CO content: maximum 0.3 vol%

Lambda: 1 +/- 0.03 or in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications.

This is for vehicles post 1991.

Maybe see if you can get the idle CO adjusted to the above and then take it for a test a see what happens. K-jet always surprised me with how good it was at test time hopefully you'll get a pleasant surprise, fingers crossed.

Thanks for that. I will go and get myself a cheap emmisions tester and try and set it up. Is there a guide anywhere for setting the K-Jet up.

Also is there any way i can tell easily if the engine is a 1.8 or 2.0.

Thanks for the help i really appreciate it. :)

Thanks for that. I will go and get myself a cheap emmisions tester and try and set it up. Is there a guide anywhere for setting the K-Jet up.

Also is there any way i can tell easily if the engine is a 1.8 or 2.0.

Thanks for the help i really appreciate it. :)

As CrazyDave says, you need to get underneath.

Lying on your back and Looking up at the driveshaft / diff housing (the 2 cups where the shafts meet the gearbox), the engine size is embossed behind here and either says '1.8' or '2.0'. The shafts may/will have a heatshield around them though which will need to be removed if you want to see the number, plus the block might be dirty so might have to rub it a bit!

Failing that, you could check the engine code/number somewhere, although I don't know where this is stamped on the engine (but others will)

hth,

Jon.

You'll need to adjust the allen screw on the airflow meter (the big black and silver thing with loads of pipes coming off it). It's down a long metal tube on the meter head.

I'll take some pictures later of mine and post them up (or try doing a search as it's most likely been covered before). While I'm at it I'll figure out which size key it is cos I can't remember, the last one I adjusted was a MK1 Golf GTI about 10 years ago!

Just be really careful when locating the allen key as it's very easy to damage the metering head (it's very a very precise bit of kit). You have to feel the key in to the allen head and just let it drop in by itself (with the engine running). Don't try to press or push the key as this will damage the meter.

If you could post some pictures it might help to identify if it's a 1.8 or 2.0

Just an update. I got under the car today and had a look at the back of the block and as i suspected it turns out the engine is a 1.8. Oh man am i pissed.

Anyway the hunt is now on for a replacement engine. Ive seen one on ebay from a passat but it uses the digfant ECU system therefore no more worried about setting up the mixture.

Do you know of anyone that has done this engine and loom swap and was it straight forward enough?

Thanks,

Mike.

tbh, I would rant HARD at the guy you bought it off and tell him it's got a 1.8 fitted.

sorry, can't help on the engine swappage, but Digifant is all digital fuel injection and your old 1.8 (like mine) is all mechanical fuel injection so a fair bit different AFAIK?

Thanks for that ive had a look and cant find the wiring or the plug feeling a bit scuppered. I need to put it through an MOT and i dont know what the garage will say.

Did the 1993 2.0 16v engines use K-Jet fuel injection or did they swap to digifant?

Thanks,

Mike

hi if its only mot your worried about it does not fall into cat testing nor do 94 cars its only after that it needs a cat test so your car on a 93 it is well out of a cat test it just has to pass the idle emissions at 3.5% co which should be no problem , all cars upto 94 inclusive do not require a cat either for test

hope this helps

and there is nothing wrong with k jet injection it much more straight forward (bring back the old days)

That's interesting, I always thought it was 91-92 onwards?

Also found this website which has an interesting comment about older engines in newer vehicle http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_730.htm

it used to be 92 but they changed it a few years back , and the older engine in a newer car thing is correct to but you have to prove its age , there being the difficult part especially if the 2 engines have the same engine codes but still are out of different age cars ,ie pre cat age or later , so you could take an engine from a 93 vr and put it in a 95 vr and not have to have a cat test in the 95, daft really them moving the age from 92 - 94 when they are trying to keep emmisions down weird , but it suits me cat out a bit more go every bit helps :)

and on that note a car does not even need a cat any age if it is capable of meeting the emission limits

Good info Paul, thats cleared a few misconceptions up.

Explains why my 95 VR Turbo passed its MOT without a CAT, but only just :) . Must admit I'm a little worried as it's nearly MOT time again, I have all the bits to do a proper CAT fitment this year. But if I don't have to go to the trouble it would be nice. Exhausts are my least favourite car job.

Hope this helps you out Mike, it is your thread after all!

Good info Paul, thats cleared a few misconceptions up.

Explains why my 95 VR Turbo passed its MOT without a CAT, but only just :) . Must admit I'm a little worried as it's nearly MOT time again, I have all the bits to do a proper CAT fitment this year. But if I don't have to go to the trouble it would be nice. Exhausts are my least favourite car job.

Hope this helps you out Mike, it is your thread after all!

id give it a go you still have 10 working days if it fails to sort it and thats mon to fri so you effectively have a fortnight , exhausts are a pain specialy when the rust sets in , rust being my most feared word :(

So let me get this straight, just so ive got it this 'What year did a CAT become compulsory with MOTs' Debate. ist 1994 onwards that you need a CAT fitted?

So let me get this straight, just so ive got it this 'What year did a CAT become compulsory with MOTs' Debate. ist 1994 onwards that you need a CAT fitted?
hi

if you have upto and including M registered car you dont need a cat and only have to pass a 3.5% co limit , but an N reg car and onwards has to pass a 0.3%co upto late 2001 then it goes to 0.2%co but NO car has to have a cat if it will pass these limits without one but its unlikely and very rare ,

hope this helps :)

Cheers Paul. Its probably already been said but im thought it was k reg onwards. Mines a K reg, but with a new engine so should pass with out any probs anyway. May look into getting a cat bypass.

Cheers Paul. Its probably already been said but im thought it was k reg onwards. Mines a K reg, but with a new engine so should pass with out any probs anyway. May look into getting a cat bypass.

no probs, no it was 92 k onwards but its changed so even with cat bypass you should have no problems ,if your car was running over 3.5% co, it would need sorting any way

good luck with your test

paul

Big thanks to you all :notworthy: .

Ive put the raddo through its mot. I was able to setup the emmissions to 2.8% at idle and it passed. Im well chuffed :D .

Still pissed its only a 1.8 but ill sort that out in time.

Anyways thanks again.

Mike.