Sign in to follow this  
DrPoth

Steering rack overhall kit for 2l 16v????

does any1know if and wer you can buy an overhall kit for a steering rack the seals on mine have gone and my neighbours are starting to complain about the hydrolic fluid all ova the street!!

Your help would be appreciated as always :)

don't think you can source the seals from anywhere easily, I suppose the rack refurbishment companies get them from some source, but I think you'd have a job buying one set retail even if you could find a supplier.

really, I think you're looking at a second hand rack, £25 upwards,

a recon rack 150-350 quid

or a VW one from a dealer £££?

cheers mate i had been looking i found a company b ut they only had email add so i emailed them but aint had a reply as u said theyd prob be reluctant to sell just one set of seals.

i was gona just remove it and have a look to see if any local hydrolic companies had matching seals but id prob just be wasting my time.

I dont suppose anyone on here has a rack from a 1.816v for sale? its a 2l block dropped into a 1.8 so im guessing the rack will be the 1.8 type if there is any differancce

thanks

Dean Poth

as posted elsewhere, you can use any rack from the Corrados, incl VR6's and Golf mk3 GTI, 16v and VR6, plus 2L 16v SEATs

all you need to do is use the 16v tie rods and the correct UJ to the column (splines change), 36-spine up to 1992, 22 afterwards

cheers mate i had been looking i found a company b ut they only had email add so i emailed them but aint had a reply as u said theyd prob be reluctant to sell just one set of seals.

i was gona just remove it and have a look to see if any local hydrolic companies had matching seals but id prob just be wasting my time.

I dont suppose anyone on here has a rack from a 1.816v for sale? its a 2l block dropped into a 1.8 so im guessing the rack will be the 1.8 type if there is any differancce

thanks

Dean Poth

If you can wait a bit, I'll be throwing away a PAS rack from a 1.8 16v shortly. One of the external lines has gone on it, but the seals are still fine.

You could easily make one good rack using mine and yours from the sounds of things.

ok cheers mate i aint in no great rush so thats cool

were abouts do u live just to no wer i need to pick it up from. o yeh how much are u askin 4 it?

I'm in oxford.

I don't really want anything for it, as I was gonna chuck it away but if you can use it then something like a tenner would be cool.