Sign in to follow this  
Monoboy

Buying a VR6, some Qs, esp. re 15" whels

Hello all. First post and just registered today, took a VR6 for a test drive today and may very well buy it, so I think I just about qualify!

I have some questions about this particular car I hope you can help me with:

It's a VR6, but it has no VR6 badges. Where can I get some from? Don't want people confusing it for a lesser model!

It only has 15" speedlines, running on 205/50/15 goodyears. These seemed a bit small, I'd supposed that 16"s were the standard, or if there were 15"s available, they's have a higher profile tyre than that. I'd want to put some 16"s on, what profile tyre would these normally have, and would this upset speedo calibration and gearing much over my weedy 15"s? Can anyone recommend some decent wheels (though I don't mind the bigger speedlines actually)?

Finally, If he accepts my offer I'm getting the car for about £1000 cheaper than I'd budgeted for. So..... I have £1000 to spend on mods! I'm already thinking K&N induction for starters, plus the wheels, and a fuel boost regulator, what else should I add to my Christmas list?

Thanks all, sorry about the slightly noddy questions.

Hello all. First post and just registered today, took a VR6 for a test drive today and may very well buy it, so I think I just about qualify!

I have some questions about this particular car I hope you can help me with:

It's a VR6, but it has no VR6 badges. Where can I get some from? Don't want people confusing it for a lesser model!

It only has 15" speedlines, running on 205/50/15 goodyears. These seemed a bit small, I'd supposed that 16"s were the standard, or if there were 15"s available, they's have a higher profile tyre than that. I'd want to put some 16"s on, what profile tyre would these normally have, and would this upset speedo calibration and gearing much over my weedy 15"s? Can anyone recommend some decent wheels (though I don't mind the bigger speedlines actually)?

Finally, If he accepts my offer I'm getting the car for about £1000 cheaper than I'd budgeted for. So..... I have £1000 to spend on mods! I'm already thinking K&N induction for starters, plus the wheels, and a fuel boost regulator, what else should I add to my Christmas list?

Thanks all, sorry about the slightly noddy questions.

right if you have a look in the "common corrado questions" section we should have a buying guide to help you that has some information on the VR6

as for badges these can be obtained from either a VW dealer or GPC

all Corrados had 15inch alloys as standard and of course wheels are a matter of personal taste i'm a big fan of the speedlines so i would keep them if it was my car

as for your £1k "extra" i would keep this in the bank til you get any "wee" niggles sorted out first......as a VR can wipe out £1k mechanical repairs quicker than you can imagine if its a bad'un :shock:

anyway good luck and keep us posted on when you get it

BTW...welcome to the forum :wink:

HI mate,as vr6storm said 15" was original but i changed mine for 17's i personally think the corrado needs that size for looks.They bolt straight on with no probs and don't rub at all.

An induction kit is a must they sound great,mine is a Ram Air from Awesome gti store which cost about £70

Recently fitted a Miltek full stainless system which cost about £330 i think.Again from Awesome its sounds fairly quiet and dosn't droan like others do.

Got any info on the vr6 your looking at? Mileage? Leather? Age? Just curious mate. Buy one tho there great cars. :lol:

Thanks for the welcome, wasn't expecting responses so soon!

The one I drove today is high mileage but the price reflects it, and it's been well looked after so it shouldn't be an issue. 112K, 1995, no leather or aircon but mint condition. Blackberry colour, which I think looks ace. The Speedlines it has are really top dollar condition but just look too small. 17"s a tad too large for my liking, and I'm not prepared to compromise the ride/handling for rubber band tyres, but 16"s look about right I reckon. Perhaps the 15"s will grow on me...

First Corrado I've driven, it felt good, FSH, no rattles, pulled hard, just serviced, clean oil, year's MOT.

Love the torquey pull of the engine, and the sound! Blinked and I was doing 100mph on the test drive. I think with the induction kit and maybe an exhaust (though I might wait until the current one needs replacing) it should sound awesome.

I think I'm smitten!

So the 15"s are standard, I assume 16"s were optional. Does anyone know what the normal tyre sizes (ie profile) for these are?

PS offered seller £4500, from asking price of £5000, seller says he'll think about it, I reckon he'll do a man from Del Monte and say yes. Not too bothered if he says no, there are others around.

So the 15"s are standard, I assume 16"s were optional. Does anyone know what the normal tyre sizes (ie profile) for these are?

yes 15 inch wheels were the standard with the 4 cylinder cars having 4-stud wheels and the VR's having 5 studs....AFAIK the Corrado was never offered with optional 16 inch wheels......though some dealers could supply 16 inch wheels IIRC....not very good looking wheels either....sport-radar's IIRC........i would reckon its pretty safe to assume that at least 99% of Corrado's fitted with 16inch or bigger wheels would have had them fitted "aftermarket"

one other thing that is probably making the speedlines look lost will be the fact it is probably running on standard suspension which gives it too much of a 4x4 look.....if you lowered it a bit you'll find then the wheels don't look that small......

Ah-ha, I see.

I know it's probably discussed at length in other threads, but just quickly, what do you reckomend, suspension-wise? Looking at the pic of your storm, it looks good, and that must be down to the lowering if you're running on 15"s.

Though I'm not up for go-cart handling. Far as I'm concerned, if a car's so stiff it bumps all over the place then that's no good to me, some compliance is required to keep the wheels touching the road!

My 16v had 16" rims fitted from new, afaik they were Audi alloys, probably fitted by the dealers but i know of at least one other C owner that had them fitted from new as well.

The original tyre size was 215/40/16 but you can also fit 205/40/16. The 215's give a slightly harsher ride but I thought the car drove slightly better with them, though I think it would really be down to personal preference.

Welcome to the forum.

Ah-ha, I see.

I know it's probably discussed at length in other threads, but just quickly, what do you reckomend, suspension-wise? Looking at the pic of your storm, it looks good, and that must be down to the lowering if you're running on 15"s.

Though I'm not up for go-cart handling. Far as I'm concerned, if a car's so stiff it bumps all over the place then that's no good to me, some compliance is required to keep the wheels touching the road!

well i have Koni coil-overs(under £700) and although it is a bit harsher round town than the standard set-up it is by no means unbearable but its all worth it on country roads and A-roads......though i've also had approx a 65mm drop

Thanks for the info.

Will check for 5-stud wheels... good thinking! Would an HPI check highlight it being a non VR6?

it should do............but i'm 99% sure it is a VR you have........i reckon the previous owner went for the "stealth" look.....

Mate i bought new badges for mine this year from my local vw dealer. the rear vr6 badge just sticks on and cost £3.89 +vat, they had to order it like most corrado parts now.

By the way mines now on 102k and drives spot on.Its never given me any trouble in 2 half years just had to do a batt and a cv boot.Was on 80k when i got it but did come with full history which i think is a must really.Oh and i paid 8k for it back then!