Sign in to follow this  
toon vw

Advice please....

I'm going to view a vr6 on sunday afternoon & just wondered if anyone had any advice on one or two issues.

Basically its pretty good on paper, aqua pearl, '93' k reg, grey electric leather 'recaro' interior (that works), mahoosive brakes like 320mm or something almost new apparently, fsh & loads of reciepts etc etc......the only potential problem is that it is currently on 144k miles with no big engine work been done or chains etc, the guy has owned it for 5 years & has only done 100 miles in the last year so its been sitting under cover for most of the year & it has 11 months mot on it, he says that he has it checked at every service & there has been no significant chain noise, he is actually an ex forum member from a while ago aswell.

Basically what i'm asking is what kind of work & costs could i be getting myself into (or not) & how much do you reckon would be worth paying for it? :help:

Thanks

check the history, plenty of evidence of oil changes should make the chains ok. If there is proof of a tensioner change then that would be good. If the chains arent rattling then that is generally an indication that they are ok. Should you buy it may be worth doing the tensioners and inspecting the chains. Price for chains, tensioners, clutch (do it while your in there) plus labour is going to be hefty (700 ish depending where its done).Worth saying that engines have ran the chains a lot longer than that..

The brakes sound like they could be TT 312mm, nice to have but can be picked up at a reasonable price from a scrappy, Recaros - leather or Cloth? Grey cloth is the least desirable from what ive seen. What does he want for it and where is it, Pm if you like...