Sign in to follow this  
Dr Forinor

Modding grill slats

Yup. Did mine with an angle grinder :)

Only opened one though for the time being.

yup, I've seen a couple of people that have done it! Not all the 3-slat grilles have the top two slats blocked off, I have a fully open 3-slat grille on mine.

like Dec says, some grilles are already fully open so no work is required... keep an eye out on ebay, you can pick one up for about a tenner like the one below.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-CORRADO-FRONT-GRILL-GRILLE-16V-VR6_W0QQitemZ170196499349QQihZ007QQcategoryZ9889QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i seem to remember reading on one post that it makes naff all difference to cooling though...

I'd buy one and experiment. I would be surprised if there was absolutely no difference., just put your hand in front of the slat when the fan is running, you can feel the air moving.

I found out the hard way that the early and late style grilles have tabs in completely different places and you'd need a late style slam panel to use a late grille on an early car.

Would have thought they'd all be the same like the Mk2..

Noob Monkey, think people are on about the very late 3-bar grille (1995), which has the top two slats covered, so air can only get in through the bottom one ;) Did you also know that the screwdriver in the wheel brace has two ends? A flat and a cross-head? :lol:

Apparently, it does make a little difference. Vornwend changed his to an open one and noticed a drop in temps...

Thin ice six pot!!!

Of course it will make a difference, those who say it won't or doesn't don't have a clue about physics.

I hear you went to Silverstone the other week?

Yeh, it must make a difference- you're basically increasing the airflow by 200% with the 3 slats open...