Sign in to follow this  
BidRado

Advice on Buying Re-conditioned Calipers

Chaps,

I need a replacement nearside rear caliper, as handbrake arm on the current one isn't releasing (had similar problem with a Golf GTI years ago, that one could be free'd up). Grateful for any experience-based feedback on quality of the various recon units available.

Discovered only reconditioned calipers are available, £88 at VW dealer (ha ha!, but 2 yr warranty), £45 + VAT from GSF with Club discount (but by firms I've never heard of (Dan Brakes and UBD? - and neither trace-able online), £46 + VAT from Webbs, a well-known local Factors (unit by Brake Engineering - a UK firm I can find online, been reconditioning calipers etc. for 25 yrs, sound credible, 1 yr warranty). On each price I've taken off the £30 or so surchage for the old unit.

My gut feel is to go for the Brake Engineering one. Any views?

Separately, I'm also looking at fitting coilovers to do a modest lowering (30-40mm - you should count the sleeping policemen round here!). Likely to go with FK or KW units. Any advice on cutting down the chin spoiler, to reduce grounding? Or are shallower ones available?

Cheers

Bid

with regards to the chin spoiler, there's a 90mm and a 50mm available, so you can reduce the size of yours if you have a 90mm, or just take the 50mm one off!

Hi Neil,

I think there's a 50mm spoiler for sale in the parts section on the forum. Recon rear calipers; have had 2 exchange units from local motor factors and had no trouble with either but think the most recent one cost £60, guess I should have haggeld :?