Sign in to follow this  
evoblade

Pool of water in drivers footwell

HELP! I came out to my VR6 this morning and noticed that the drivers mat and carpet were soaking wet. After looking on the forum i see that heater matrix leaking is common, but this usually appears on the passenger side and smeelsof antifreeze. There is definately no antifreeze present. Can anyone help?

Check in the scuttle panel (the bit between the engine bay and the windscreen where the wiper motor lives - you can only get at it with the bonnet open!)

In there, there's a drain at each side, these often get blocked up with bits of leaves and the like so that when it rains, the water can't drain and so finds it's way past gromets and the like and into the footwells.

It's either that or one of the door or window seals isn't sealing properly and is letting rain water in... :?

Let us know what you find... 8)

Hi Henny

I have looked in the scuttle and there are no signs of blockage. I have looked also at the drivers door seal. Although there does not seem to be any visible damage, it seems extremly wet :?

Is the bottom of the boor card damp too? There's a thin plastic membane (sticky backed plastic! :? ) behind the door car which stops moisture getting into the car from past the window rubbers, if this is damaged then the moisture can get through and wet the carpet... If it was raining heavily onto the drivers side of the car last night, then the moisture can be quite a bit more than just dampness... :shock:

If not, then I'd check around the front corner of the roof to see if it's damp there, as that's where the drains for the sunroof are, and then check the scuttle panel again for any missing or damaged gromets...

This is one thing (touch wood!) that I've not had to do to my C yet, so this is just info I've picked up from other cars and from on here... 8)

Good luck!