Sign in to follow this  
neo3670

What would you do?

Hello everyone. Been meanin to join for ages, but been havin to much fun driving my 1995 vr6 to be sat in front of this screen!! But sadly the time has come, when I cannot ignore that the old girl is'nt doing so well! We have had 5 years together, with hardly a moan or a groan, but I know I havn't been as good to her as I should have. Now pushing 175k miles, she's telling me that all is not well!! Coolant loss, and steamy exhaust ommisions suggest head gasket failure, so I am going to have to garage her and give a little tlc. So my fellow corrado chums, any ideas? I dont want to loose her, I want to get her better again, and if I'm going to take time out to do the obvious, whats the best way to do it and what other improvements should I be considering whilst I've got her head off? I am based in Falmouth, Cornwall. Anyone recommend a good guru, or role model? Your thoughts would be very much appreciated!

If the head gasket has gone? then whilst its apart its best to do the timing chains, guides, and water pump for starters, you will need to replace quite a few other gaskets as well so if anything is leaking on the bottom end of the engine? you may as well do them too, the gearbox needs to come off to do the bottom chain and guide so you may as well have a new clutch whilst its apart as its cheaper than doing it later if it goes

It wont be cheap but if your keeping it and its a good car in other respects its worth it in the long run

Thanks, sounds complex!! However, I'm keeping this car till I die.....although reading through some other posts, the vr6 sc sounds fun at nearly 300bhp! Maybe I could do the same while i,ve got the engine apart!!?? However, my spare time is short, so is the cash. Looks like I need to start savin! Going to check out rk engineering though, from other posts they seem to know what they are doing, just got to find out where they are based.

Fantastic!! Gonna give them a call tomorrow, get it checked out and go from there! Thanks guys! If your not too far away, may see you at a Devon & Cornwall meet or next vw meet at Stithians! :notworthy: