Sign in to follow this  
8vtornado

speedo/rev counter/odo dead!!

i just pulled into a carpark the other night to meet a friend to go out driving when everything on my insturment cluster died except the fuel gauge and coolant temp. the lights are still on but i have no odo, speedo, rev counter etc, driving without a speedo is sscarey!!! its the fully electric type on a 92 g60, anyway i checked all fuses (even tho none of them seem to be to do with that) and checked the wiring goin into the back of the clocks, i have an earth at pin3 as expected, a constant live at pin11 and an ignition live at pin13 all as expected. does this just leave the pod itself?

if so, i really want to keep the original mileage on it as its fairly low, if i replace the pod wot can i do about this? or can the pod i have be repaired? any ideas would be appreciated.

(p.s. mods- i dont know if this post is in the right area so feel free to move it)

Sorry i cant help but i am in exactly the same position (same car and probs and very low milage) and posted the same question yesterday. Spent about an hour trawling through previous posts and not got much joy. The most common suggestion is something to do the the gearbox and the speedo cable i think?

If you hear of a solution can you let me know and i will do likewise as i pass 3 speed cameras going to work and its no fun guessing!

Can you tell me how i test the earths and lives you described?

Thanks

sounds like it's as dead as an odo...

driving w/o a speedo isn't THAT scary mate, you can tell what speed you're doing from the rev counter. 3000 in 3rd is 30, 2000 in 3rd is 20, and for 5th gear/top end the needles go up at the same pace so if the rev counter is on ~4000 (12 o'clock position) then you're doing a smidge over 80mph... although this is trickier to tell than the 3rd gear trick.

hth,

Jon.

thats all well and good if i HAD the rev counter!!!! i know the revs/speed ratio (its diff from my g60 to ur 16v :p)

its a real bummer, any for sale on ebay etc are far too expensive and have like 145000+ miles, far too much for me!

i first thought speedo sensor but that wudnt affect the rev counter and odo i wouldnt have thought... ill have to somehow check the input from it, ill have to check voltage with teh car in gear on a ramp. ill let u know how that goes, but first im gonna pop into vw 2moro as i have a mate in there taht wont charge me for help (hopefully!!)

as for the lives n earths, with the instrument cluster removed and the multiplug removed, i stuck pins into the corresponding terminals and stuck a multimeter on them (multimeter leads dont fit into them!) it has the pin no.s written on the plug itself (small) sud be 1 at the top left, 28 at the bottom right. pin 3 and 5 are earths, pin 11 is an ignition live(i think) and pin 13 is a constant live (they may be the other way round but ull soon see)

im lucky i have another car to drive but i want my g60, a 1.6 fiesta is nowhere near powerful enough!!!! blooody old cars. :(

good luck.

Ah yeah, sorry forgot you didn't have tacho either! my baaayd.

have you checked the earth blocks behind the dash? If all the needles played dead at the same instant that would be PLAAAAANNNNN A for me, as they all take readings off different things don't they so not much point checking the dials connector on the back (especially if the coolant gauge is still working?)

My second 2p for this thread :D

yea ive checked earths and lives going to the pod, and i agree, thats the first thing i thought, a common earth/ live as they all went at once, but nothing seems to be wrong there. it must be some common component/ wire in the printed circuit inside. but what would cause it to just GO like that?! its rele confusing!!! wot u mean by earth blocks tho?

earth blocks are normally (oin a corrado) a little ring of 1-pin connectors which bolt directly to the chassis enabling a circuit to use each 1-pin connector as an earth. There's one just below the A-pillar drivers side, not sure if the dash dials earth there, but I would not be surprised if they do!

the earths fine. stealers are useless, told me it cud be voltage reg but my guide says that wud only be the case if the fuel and coolant guages were haywire, but theyre the only two that DO work!!! so im stumped, probably take it to work 2moro and test the speed sensor although im not pinning any hopes on that cos i wudnt have thought tahtd put all the gauges out, but u never know there cud be some sort of crazy arse thing in it, although come to thihnk of it that wudnt stop hte odo showing with the ignition off..... DAM this sucks!!! think im gonna try a second haand pod and canibalise it, still want my low mileage!!!!

anyone else got any ideas?

ok i tested the voltage regulator and thats fine as i expected, the only thing i suspect now is the - for the outside temperature sensor (pin 1 on the 28 pin connector) doesnt seem to have an earth, wondering if this could have been the problem, causing that circuit to short through somethign else and blowing something. im not even sure if its supposed to be an earth!!! ill have to trace the wire before i put another set of clocks in incase i blow those too! theres gotta be a reason it blew...

anyone know which part of the clocks the mileage is stored in? these other clocks iv bought add 50,000 miles on my car and i rele dont want that!!! ill do anything to have my old mileage back! anyone got any ideas?

I have kind of got used to driving with no instruments but i want my mileage back for when i sell. I have a mate who worked for VW as a mechanic back in the day and gonna take it to him and see if he has any suggestions. All my electrics are up the duff with lights and windows randomly working then not so i might have a more serious problem.

As for mileage i am hoping to find a reputable milage adjusting company and show them my MOT from few months ago with milage on it and hope they can do something if i gotta buy secondhand unit which has been to the moon and back.

small update, i couldnt find a problem with any of the power/earth or see anything on the circuitboard so i just thought id get a second hand set of clocks to check it, and it worked, i beeen using it for about a week now and it seems ok, its also cured the resetting of the mfa and stuff occasionally on startup. so i went to vw to ask if they can change the odo for me and apparently not (if anyone has any more info on this thatd be cool) so i guess i gotta find a pikey to do it for me now!!! i only want my genuine mileage back cos its a good un!!

imo, i wouldn't worry about numbers on a dash mate, that 70,000 mile Corrado we cut up was ROTTEN AS HELL, i mean serious rot all along the floorpan and on the rear panels, something you wouldn't expect to happen!

Saying all that, it's your car and you want the numbers back so i hope you get it sorted.