Sign in to follow this  
johno1

speakers not working

Recently bought a 2l 1994 corrado and the two right hand speakers at the front don't work (one in the door, one on the dash). On the left they both work fine but not on the right..... Got stereo out to look behind but not really sure what i'm looking for and car audio shop want to charge me £90 minimum to have a look at it. Where should i start! Any help appreciated.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/ste ... /2167.html

Id check the wiring at the back of the stereo first to see if theres a loose wire. Then have a look at the speaker in the door, by taking the door card off. Im not sure if the dash speak runs off of the door speaker as the back of the stereo only has left right front and left right back. no dash wires.

yea i've tried the fader, sort of thing i'd miss! I'll check the back of the stereo first when i get home. How do i go about taking the door card or pod grill off if i need to? Just not sure where the wire runs through to get from the stereo to the speakers. Can i thread another wire through if needed? cheers for your help....

simplest thing first, have you checked the left to right balance/fader is set correctly :lol:

yeah there is that :lol:

Theres screws on either side edge of the door card iirc, then its a case of pulling the top off. The bottom just rests on some bits of metal attached to door.

great thanks. also ive inherited some 6"x9"'s from my old car, is there anywhere they can fit in easliy and will they help in any way? think everything in it at the moment is standar, was thinking of switching them with the currant one's in the back but dont want to be cutting holes....

Never used the rear corrado speakers before as ive either bought a rado with 6x9s already installed or the latest rado had no radio up until 6 months ago and i installed 6x9s in straight away. So im not sure of the quality of the rear speakers. Though I do get by ok with a pair of Kenwood 6x9s and standard fronts.

a quick test to find out if its the headunit or the speaker is disconnect the speaker wires from the back of the headunit, then get an AA or AAA 1.5 volt battery and touch the speaker wires on to the +/- of the battery (doesnt matter which way round), you should hear the speaker click slightly or if you can see the speaker you should see it move, if it doesnt move or click its the speaker or speaker cable, if it does its the headunit or a bad connection at the back of the headunit.

Alternatively you could just swap the left and right speaker connections to see if the other side works.

Alternatively you could just swap the left and right speaker connections to see if the other side works.

Which will be a s0d if its connected via ISO connectors. Good old trusty strip connectors!

now i've switched over the head unit and everything seemed to be perfect (thanks for all the tips) until yesterday i was listening to it quite loudly and it stopped working. Have since tried connecting old one and this also shows no sign of movement...... I assume a fuse has gone somewhere. How do i go about checking the fuses?dont even know where fusebox is and certainly don't know which one is for the stereo if anyone can help? thanks

found the fusebox and checked fuse which is fine. Now checked fuse on back of stereo which is also fine...... What else could it be! Put old stereo in as well and that similarly does nothing so no power is getting to the stereo at all. Any ideas how/where to check next? and just when i thought it was all fixed.

Maybe.... just surprised there's no flicker getting through even when i wiggle about at the back? Seems to be two iso connectors, one with wires for the speakers and one with the other wires. Is all a bit tight behind the stereo ay!

Hi

I reckon there is still a fuse that you have not seen. It could be an inline fuse on the power cable. Put up a picture of the non-speakers ISO connector making sure the colors of the cables are visible.

spoiler still works using the manual button in the car.... otherwise it goes up at 60mph but not back down again, as it has done since i got the car! The non-speaker iso has a black wire going off in the same direction as the speakers (?) then a blue/white, a blue/grey, a brown/red, a thick grey and a thick red/white which all go in the same direction. Unforunately i havent got any way of taking a picture of it. Looking at the connector on the back of the stereo only the two thick wires, the black one and the brown/red appear to connect to the stereo. Could there be a fuse somewhere else? I've tested the radio one in the fusebox and the one on the back of the stereo, where else could i look? cheers

Got it sorted at the garage. Apparently the ignition barrel had gone so they put a wire from the ignition feed to the radio so it now works only if the car is on. Unfortunately now i cant get started as car wont start! Had funny issues with low oil/battery warning lights coming on even tho both are fine and now car simply turns over without firing. No power is coming from ignition coil so i'm going to change that this evening but if it's not could it be something to do with the ignition barrel or solenoid? Will be having it towed to a garage if the ignition coil doesnt fix it i think.....