Sign in to follow this  
Valerian

replacing window winder mechanism

I have the daunting task of replacing my passenger window mechanism tomorrow.

The window is in the up position so i'm going to have fun disconnecting the mechanism without the window falling and possibley smashing.

Anyone care to give me any pointers on the best way to remove the whole mechanism with the smallest of fuss?

Also not looking forward to the removal of the pop rivets.

its actually quite easy i found, i dredded the job but once you get going its pretty straight forward.

i did a kinda guide thingy somewhere

i used duct tape across the top of door to hold window up, just up one side of window across top of door then back down other side

its actually quite easy i found, i dredded the job but once you get going its pretty straight forward.

i did a kinda guide thingy somewhere

Just joined that website....thanks for the link.

Any more info anyone can give would be appreciated.

Just done mine, a bit fiddly but got there in the end. Top tip, halfords do a rivet gun for a tenner with about four different sizes of rivets which are all the right size for the job, you need two different sizes. When drilling out the larger of the rivets don't push too hard as the rivets locate in a rubber housing which can be damaged if pushing too hard when drilling out. Hope that helps a bit!

Just done mine, a bit fiddly but got there in the end. Top tip, halfords do a rivet gun for a tenner with about four different sizes of rivets which are all the right size for the job, you need two different sizes. When drilling out the larger of the rivets don't push too hard as the rivets locate in a rubber housing which can be damaged if pushing too hard when drilling out. Hope that helps a bit!

Looks like it'll be a trip to Halfrauds then......think i lent mine out yonks ago but can i remember who to......nope.....few phone calls tonight me thinks

Took advantage of the great weather we've had down here today and changed the passenger window mechanism.

It's not a job i'll be standing forward to volunteer for in a rush. Had quite a bit of trouble getting the top of the upright passed the glass and gubins.

Anyways.....jobs a good 'un now....not much jobs left to do now.....one hopes.