Sign in to follow this  
belfastfumanchu

Wipers - Mind of their own - Help

My wipers started going on by themselves when I started the car the other morning (I got them stopped after wiggling the stalk). Then last night when the rain came on whilst I was driving I put the wipers on and then the washers started spraying up at the windscreen and no matter what I done the washers and wipers wouldnt stop until I got home and turned the engine off. Would it be more likely to be the stalk at fault or the relay needing changing?

Edit:This is not an April fools joke :D

Update here purely incase anyone does a search in the future with the same problem.

Changed the stalk (54 quid new) and it works fine now.

Changing it is wee buns.....

1.Remove plastic covering immediately below steering wheel (3 screws).

2.Remove the rubber covering in center of steering wheel where you push the horn and then pull out the two wires off this rubber covering.

3.Remove nut holding on the steering wheel (23mm)

4.Pull steering wheel off.

5.Remove the 3 screws that you now see on the indicator stalk and then undo the electrical connectors at the back of the wiper stalk and indicator stalk (2 on the left and 2 on the right.

6.With a 10mm spanner undo the nut thats holding on the steering wheel height adjuster and pull it out.

7.Remove top plastic covering up and over the hazzard light switch to give you move room (no screws, it just snaps on and off).

8.Pull the indicator/full beam stalk off.

9.Reach in away below under the steering wheel and to the right to unplug the final electrical connecter running from the wiper (red, white n blue colourings on the end of it).

10.Pull off the wiper stalk.

Now just reverse the process with your new stalk!