Cheapmods

Cheapmods G60 Project - 1.8T or G60??

So, not sure if anyone remembers, but way back at the beginning of the thread I started polishing the intake manifold for just a touch of free bling in the engine bay. Well.... that's kinda gone no where since the original update :nono: :sad: In fact, it's somehow wound up sitting in the laundry room under some clothes :shrug: (a'la wife getting tired of it sitting in the dining room LOL.

After putting so much work into it & really not getting the total result i'd hoped for, as i couldn't get into the little nooks and crannies well enough. I kinda forgot about it. Well, after much thought i realized that the polished mani didn't quite fit into the scheme of the bay i was going for. So instead i decided to paint it. I used dark gray for the main parts and black between the runners and on the mounts

This is how it turned out

G60Project076.jpg

G60Project075.jpg

I'm going for mostly a blacked out engine bay. I'm gonna paint the head and block the same dark gray as the mani & everything else will be flat black with some touches of red here & there for a lil spice :thumbleft:

also here's a sneak peak of what i've gotten done with the inside

G60Project074.jpg

:offtopic:

Well, at least I got the East Coast bit right... Hope you didn't mind me suggesting you were a Canuck! :cuckoo: :roll:

Actually...'round here we call it the Gulf coast, as in the Gulf of Mexico. Either way, no offense taken. :salute:

Always too thumbs fresh my man!

Keep those pics coming.

btw, the manifolds are made from really crude metal and imho don't polish up well at all. Much better in the grey :salute:

thanks, the problem was getting the texture to smooth out in the tight spots & it would have been nearly impossible in some spots :bad-words:

I was able to polish up the top and outside runners mirror smooth by working up with the grits. 80 to smooth, then 120, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, then 1500. finally some Mother's mag alum polish on the Power Ball & voila. sounds easy right. :lol: haha

hence the paint. i'm not sure if i like how dark the gray is. i may lighten it up a bit. any thoughts?

right now i'm doing up the rad support. pics to follow :norty:

Wow, that inlet manifold looks great :thumbleft: Was a bit skeptical about the polished version earlier in the thread for the same reasons you weren't happy about it, but that paint job looks v. cool. 8)

[Off topic]Gulf Coast it is. My wife is from the Caribbean, so I should know better![/Off topic]

rad support ftmfw!!1111!!1!1

I'd do the manifold slightly lighter, save the dark grey for the wheels maybe. My personal choice, sure it'll look good though.

mmm, metallics seem to change colour between wet and dry :bad-words: experimenting is half the fun though!

Oh, and we flame WAYYYYY less over here than on the Tex :salute: :wink:

Oh, and we flame WAYYYYY less over here than on the Tex :salute: :wink:

well well... what brought that on :shades:

my build there is dead in the water over there, although i'm about to finally update it & see what happens :camp:

I'M AN ANIMAL!!! MORE PICS!!!

unlike the monkey, this is not an advert for POR or Marine clean :lol:

I wanted the flat black look :black:

G60Project077.jpg

G60Project078.jpg

G60Project079.jpg

now how does this go back together :scratch: :lol:

one last question for the day. How visible is the samco coolant hose kit? A pic would be nice. Like i said, i'm going with a black/gray look with red accents (battery, wires, hose couplings) will the red samco's overpower everything?

love the flat black yo! Annoyed that POR is glossy, cos I love the flat look. Oh well, it's more functional than formal I guess

Yeah, red samcos will be WAY overpowering if you're just looking to pick up minor detail in red. Here's a VR with red pipes:

:)samco2.jpg

Prodigal has blues on his, perhaps he'll take a photo for you :)

that would be great prodigal :shades:

this is the only picture i could find...

EngineShot1.jpg

and it doesn't look so bad, the only one that i don't much care for is the small line coming from the reservoir. Basically i need a better pic to make a good decision.

thanks for that pic monkey!

off to work! :salute:

My bay (excuse the missing inlet manifold and general grubbiness :oops:)

I don't have Samco boost pipes, just coolant, so not quite so 'in your face'!

_DSC6144.jpg[/attachment:id9tc5jp]

Will try and take a pic from the front this evening :wink:

As promised:

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdf_DSC8880.JPG[/attachment:3jxe3wfh]

And this angle shows most of the coolant pipes:

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf_DSC8881.JPG[/attachment:3jxe3wfh]

And a quick mock-up of reds :dorky: :

_DSC8880_red.jpg[/attachment:3jxe3wfh]

Hope that's helpful :salute: :grin:

PS. luuuuuuuurve that pic of that matt black bay :luvlove: but no so sure about the red hoses. What did you use to do your cross member/rad support, and would it also do the rocker cover?

what are you doin with a blue AND a red red set!? LUCKY!!

eh, i'm still not sure. it doesn't seem too over the top, but it might look lop sided with the red toward the front corner near the battery (which mine will be a red top optima) plus the plug wires and MSD Blaster coil.

thanks for going thru the trouble tho. it will no doubt help my decision...

Oh and I just used some Rust-o-leum flat black paint for outdoor furniture. I know it's not automotive, but lawn stuff takes a bit of a beating as well, and i've got a good amount of coats on it. should be fine.

Cool, my missus also loves the matt black engine bay pic, so she has offered to do all that tidyup for me :shock: - "it's a girl thing", she says (like I care why she's doing it, I just love the fact that she wants to get involved!) :luvlove: :clap: :grin:

iirc, we don't get rustoleum over here. Hammertime satin black would be the same kinda stuff though, unless someone else makes a true matt finish protective paint for the UK?

No probs, I can get some rust-o-leum (great name, is it made by Acme corp?!) next time I'm Stateside, which will probably be at the beginning of July :)

So i know i all but dissappeared, but it was for a good reason. My wife and i have been quite busy as our baby girl was born on June 25th! Momma and baby are both doing well and i couldn't be prouder!

and here she is..

hee.jpg[/attachment:11kpj4dr]

Now in case you think i just let project rado fall off the face of the Earth, guess again. lol

I've slowly been performing the tedious task of sanding all the panels down to nearly bare status then fixing and filling all the little (and BIG) dings with the help of my buddy Jesse (body man extrodinaire) here's what i've been up to...

Presenting..

pic002.jpg

driver's side fully sanded w/black paint hiding the bare metal.

pic003.jpg

pic004.jpg

and come close ups of the flat black front quarter. which was painted to help spot what i may have missed the 1st time

pic006.jpg

pic007.jpg

Also made some progress on the pass. side which only had very minor problems to begin with

pic005.jpg

Finally, a dramatic (oooooo) shot of the end of the day. lol i crack me up

pic008.jpg

As always, more to come.

NOTE: body work is quite a slow process :bad-words:

WOW!! it's been so long since i posted i totally forgot to add that i finally got the wheels off and made some progress in that area as well.

I used a 3/4 socket, my 3lbs mini maul and huge breaker bar to get the job done.... then about 2 days later i found the wheel lock. :roll:

No harm tho, at least i was able to get the brake calipers and rotors off and got the rear struts out. unfortunately i don't have a compressor at my house yet so i couldn't zap off the front axle nut or the top nut holding the strut in. that's why i've been back on the body work

Ouuuccchhh dude, way to punch me in the brain with a project update! :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

Bodywork is looking fresh, your friend has got skillz y0 8) I hate doing bodywork, mine's just falling apart mechanically! :nuts: :cuckoo:

Anyways, keep the updates coming anf congrats on the kid :cheers:

yeah, jesse is awesome. his family owns a body shop in ohio, but he moved down here to work on Audi's. I leave the big stuff to him while i do the sanding and skim coats of filler. I'm getting the hang of door dings and such. Hopefully we'll be priming it up soon.

Awesome. :grin:

I've been having issued with the front axle nut on mine too, good job I don't need the car at the moment!

Any more engine-type updates? or upgrades?! wtfco-rad-do

Hi Cheapmods

We've not heard a lot from your project recently everything ok?

Or you still in new dad mode? :)