Sign in to follow this  
immortalbeast

Which Engine/Drivetrain?

Hi All,

First post so go easy.

I am going to be buying a VW Corrado within the next month as i have always loved the shape of them. I plan to buy one and tweak it but which is the best route in your opinion?

1: VR6 and tune it up

2: G60 and tune it up

3: Transplant a 1.8t Golf engine in and tune it

4: As above but convert it to RWD

5: VR6 but convert it to RWD

6: Any of the engines and do 4WD?

Or any other suggestions?

Matt :salute:

Depends what you want mate.

Obviously power per Pound the 1.8t is hard to beat if you can do the convo yourself.

If you want a refined road car without a buzzy engine note go VR6.

G60 i always found was great if your in the mood but can be a pain of your not, nowhere near as refined as a Vr day to day.

All depends as ive said what you want........

Depends what you want mate.

Obviously power per Pound the 1.8t is hard to beat if you can do the convo yourself.

If you want a refined road car without a buzzy engine note go VR6.

G60 i always found was great if your in the mood but can be a pain of your not, nowhere near as refined as a Vr day to day.

All depends as ive said what you want........

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Im after speed, handling, reliability and refinement.

Ultimately i woulf prefer a RWD vr6 turbo but dont know how well the engines handle forced induction.

I would consider the 1.8t but do anyone know what they are like to drive off boost? , and are they a nice soundng engine?

Matt

Does the VR6 engine handle forced induction......... :shock: :shock: :shock: The answer is a big fat YES!

The torque is awesome and the noise is just something else, but still quiet and refined, while still giving 31mpg!

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

Does the VR6 engine handle forced induction......... :shock: :shock: :shock: The answer is a big fat YES!

The torque is awesome and the noise is just something else, but still quiet and refined, while still giving 31mpg!

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome. TBH i would prefer the v6 anyway as im not a fan of 4cyl engines.

So.... who does a turbo conversion for them and how much do they roughly cost?

Also is there anyway to have the corrado RWD whilst still keeping the engine in the same position or is it a case of modifying the floor to accomadate a transmission tunnel and mounting the engine longitudinal?

Matt

Im after speed, handling, reliability and refinement.

Am i the only 1 to think it aint gonna happen

Ultimately i woulf prefer a RWD vr6 turbo but dont know how well the engines handle forced induction.

Matt

Well you should look in the for sale section at the VR6 turbo 4wd for sale, and RWD is a huge job, probably more so than doing a 4wd conversion

Hi,

I dont want to buy sdomebody else's work. I want the fun of doing it myself.

I cant imagine it being any more work doing RWD than 4WD as both would need the floor cutting to accomodate the transmission tunnel surely.

I think ive decided what im going to do....

A VR6 RWD Turbo nutter!

Well you need to check out next months issue of Performance VW then as there is 1 in there.

Also i did a thread on a RWD rear engined VR6 turbo Corrado a couple of months ago, see if its still around.