Sign in to follow this  
TheOrteganator

Non-Running Corrado, Should I Buy??

I recently turned 17, and with some money saved up I've started looking at used cars to purchase. Immediately when I found the Corrado, I was fascinated by it, and despite the ownership costs, I would really like to own one.

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1990 Corrado G60 for $700. It has been sitting in this person's yard for a "couple of years" and the #1 cylinder was not firing, so it was parked and left. I have not looked at it yet, but the owner is claiming that it is in good condition, just that the #1 cylinder does not fire.

It has approximately 134,000 miles on it. It is a 1990 G60 with the manual transmission.

The supercharger was rebuilt at 90,000 miles. Isn't this a bit late, I thought it was supposed to be 50,000, but maybe I'm wrong. Is there any risk of damage with rebuilding it this late?

Also at 90,000 miles, the transmission was "redone" (still confirming if they mean rebuilt, or just tuned up), the water pump was replaced, and the radiator was replaced.

What do you guys think about this? Should that #1 cylinder be an easy fix? What kind of money would I expect to spend on this in both best case scenario (easy fix) and worst case (engine replacement?)?

Also, what other questions should I ask this owner to get a better idea of this car?

depends how capable you are - i guess from the questions you're asking, you wouldn't be doing the work yourself. If thats the case, the case it could be quite expensive to sort out - sorry, don't know the price of G60 parts especially in america but just labour alone could be quite a lot. If it was an easy fix, ie plug lead or plug, it would have been done. Its more likely something internal and until the head comes off, it could be many things. Unless you've got replacement parts and doing the work yourself, could be very expensive.

If i was in your position - on a budget, having to pay someone else, I would stay clear and save for a running, working corrado.