Sign in to follow this  
efil4sbuD

Low oil pressure

I have an oil pressure problem on my 95 VR, i get a flashing oil light a second or so after starting and then a buzzer at about 2k revs.

Here's some background - I was using a lot of oil and my clutch was on it's way out. Other than that it ran fine. I took the engine out of the car and replaced:

Valve stem oil seals

Crank oil seal on the gearbox side (a lot of oil in the bell housing so this was the cause of the oil loss i think)

Clutch & lightened flywheel

Both chains, guides and lower tensioner

Head gasket & valve cover gasket

The little breather valve from the valve cover to the air intake

I reinstalled the engine and now i have the pressure problem. I have looked at a couple of things since which are:

Low oil pressure switch on the oil filter housing (yellow wire) i changed that for another i had.

All pipes connected in the right place, gaskets fitting tight, electrical connections in the right place (the only ones that can be mixed up are those on the oil filter housing -thinking about it now, could i have put the wire for low pressure on the high pressure switch? Does anyone have a picture of their switches and the wire colours going to each please?)

Oil pump - i had the sump off and the pump out. A lot of gunk came out of the strainer, the relief valve seemed ok and moves freely.

There appears to be no leaks from the chain covers nor the valve cover.

The head gasket was for a Golf i think but the part numbers look to be the same - i had wondered if it may be blocking oil ways but there is fresh oil on the cams which would confirm that the pump is ok, better now it's been cleaned.

I'm thinking now that i have the wires in the wrong place on the filter housing though i was sure i made a note when i took them off.

Anyone have any views or ideas please? And a photo of the filter housing and the wires going to each switch would be great.

Thanks, James.

hi

have you try d swapping the high and low pressure switch wires round , as if there on the wrong may the buzzer may go off ,just a thought

if not you need to do a oil pressure check to see if its low or is just an electrical glitch,

the low pressure warning buzzer only goes off if the engines pressure is below 2 bar @ 2000k and above.

Yeah, i only thought about the possibility that the wires were wrong as i typed the first post. The car isn't at my house so it's going to be the first thing i check next time i see it.

James.

ps, i could still do with a photo or a description if someone can lift their bonnet please.

hi the yellow is the high pressure switch and the other is blue low pressure

i would get you a pic but it would not be much use to you as i am running the high only

and a pressure sender in the other hole not a switch

cheers

Well, i seem to have sorted this one. It was the wires, i had them on the wrong switches.

All this after i noted them down when i took them off!