Sign in to follow this  
RDH

Engine problems

Hi, I have a 1994 2.0 16v C, that has done 113k.

I have recently noticed white smoke coming out of the exhaust which immediately made me think the Head gasket was going, however I cannot detect any coolant loss, I have no water in the oil (that I can see) and temps seem ok.

The car is not running well, and the engine has developed a top end rattle which you notice at idle (which is very lumpy).

I have scanned for error codes and got-

00514 Crankshaft position sensor

00531 Mass air flow sensor reference voltage.

However I cleared these codes a week ago and they have not come back.

The exhaust fumes smell really strongly of presumably unburnt fuel. The car passed it's test 6 weeks ago without a single advisory (knew it was too good to be true)so emissions must have been ok then.

Any ideas?,or checks I can do?, I do suspect the head gasket, and am having it pressure tested at the weekend.

Any help appreciated.

Rich

Would it have, in any way, ingested some water recently?

Not that I can think of, it is a second car and not used that much, it is kept in a garage which is a bit damp.

Rich

Ok, been having a look around engine bay, and although it is probably not related to the running/smoking problem-I have discovered a connector that is not plugged in.

It comes from the bunch of wires below the dizzy, and is a single thick black wire, I can't find anywhere it should go. Any ideas??

Here are a couple (crap) pics.

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfEng3 (Small).JPG[/attachment:2we5016n]

Eng4 (Small).JPG[/attachment:2we5016n]

Any help with this, and the poor running problem appreciated.

Rich

Just had a look, the plug on the distributer is on, this "rogue" plug comes from the same bunch as the plug that is attached to the dizzy.

Cheers for reply.

Rich

Thermotime switch on the end of the head? Reverse light? Gearbox speed sensor?

Thermotime switch on the end of the head? Reverse light? Gearbox speed sensor?

Reverse lights work ok. Can't find a spare socket on the gearbox, where is the thermotime switch?, if either was not plugged in-what would be the effect?, the speedo works ok but the spoiler does not lift at speed (ok on button).

Thanks for replies guys, anyone any ideas about smoke/poor running.

TIA

Rich.

The thermotime switch is ont he end of the head, if that was broken/unplugged, then it could be running rich.

Well head gasket has definately started to go so it looks like a top end rebuild, not too p*ssed off as I intend keeping the car long term, and accept bits will need doing. Will use this as an opportunity to replace water pump and all belts and sort a few minor oil leaks.

Rich

Good plan Rich, stay positive!

IIRC there's a 3-pin connector like that floating around which is the Diag port for VAG-Com?

My 16v is early and as such I plug it into my Etch-A-Sketch to diagnose faults.

Good plan Rich, stay positive!

IIRC there's a 3-pin connector like that floating around which is the Diag port for VAG-Com?

My 16v is early and as such I plug it into my Etch-A-Sketch to diagnose faults.

Cheers Fella. The guy who looked at it said the connector was for diagnostics. Will keep renewing bits as they wear/when I can, I am lucky as it is not my main mode of transport.

Rich