Sign in to follow this  
ianmorgan50

OVERHEATING HELP!!!!!!!!!!! G60 CORRADO

I HAVE A 1991 CORRADO I CHANGED THE WATER PUMP AND THROMOSTAT AND EVER SINCE THEN IT OVER HEATS SO I HAVE REMOVED THE THROMOSTAT ALL TOGATHER BUT THATS NOT THE PROBLAM BUT THE FAN WAS'ENT CUTIING IN SOON ENOUGH CUMMING ON BETWEEN 98-110

SO I GOT A NEW FAN SWITCH BUT ITS STILL THE SAME I HAVE TESTED THE WIRES BY SHORTING THEM AND BOTH SPEEDS WORK SO FOR NOW I HAVE PUT IT ON A SWITCH

HAS ANY 1 GOT ANY CLUE TO WHAT IT HAPPENING BECAUSE IM ABOUT TO GO AND BUY A NEW RAD / EXPANTION TANK / CAP / FAN AND MOTOR AND SOME SAMCO I FIGGER IF I REPLACE EVERYTHING IT WILL BE OK AGAIN BUT DONT WONT TO JUST REPLACE FOR THE FUN OF IT

Does your bottom rad hose get hot??

my brother had a similar prob on his 1.8 vento turns out head gasket had gone, thus pressurizing the water system with exhaust gases which stops water flowing .

98-110 seems a bit high but could be about right any on else confirm??

any buzzers sounding from behind dash?

And wots your oil temp like?

well i only got water in it at the moment as i have 2 keep adding it when it boils over i thought it was the thermostat 1st but i've taken it out all togather 2 see if it help but it still gust overheats when the fan cuts in it goes down so i have put a switch in for now so i can still drive it but its like the fan only comes on when it wonts to but i put a new switch in yesterday and still no change

i was thinkin maybe there is a blockage around the switch

well i only got water in it at the moment

Thats why it boils then you plumb :tongue:

I reckon you might have put the stat in the wrong way round to start with?? - put the stat back in after testing in a pan and fill with 33% G12+ / Distilled water.

What colour is the header tank cap?

This is a very very common problem on G60's previous cars I have had and my current one are no diferent. I have no idea why. As you have done my fan as on old car is on a dash mounted switch.

I can short the fan and it works fine. maybe its something to do with voltage at the switch not enough to click the circuit over.

many new thermo switch's and none of em solved the issue. The rads were not blocked.

The later c's have a relay block near the water res.. None of my 60's had this. Guess they were to early for this bit of electrical work. No idea if jerry rigging one of these in would help????

As for the stat..yes that to is a pain.

As Supecharged sez what colour is the tank cap.. Get a new one they are Blue. The old ones are prone to falure.

It only fts one way round so its in or its not.

Fit it and run the car hard it will force the water round. Fill the engine from the top hose or from the small hose to the cooler. This will force water further in and round the block. I also pulled the hose to the matrix and filled that.

I have even been known to suck on the top hose and pull water all the way through the system... :gag:

running the car at revs does force it through the engine. failig that drill the edge of the stat with a 1mm bit. This will stop air locks at the stat.

more on fannige problems here

the thromstat only fits 1 way to start with

and i dent have any G12 so i just used some anti frezze from the garage does G12 make a big diffrance

im going to get a new header tank and blue cap on the weekend

but in all fairness why would just having water in there make the fan only work sometinmes

thanks for all the help every1 i only had the car a mouth went for a mk3 golf gti (never had a problam with for over a yr) to the G60 wich in the time i had it ive had to put a new exhaust on it £320 door handle broke £25 water pump £30 service kit inc dizzy £50 black and blue temp senders thermostat fan switch

this car is making me very poor :(

As you sig says it a way of life

On the g12 issue, it has non corrosive properties unlike regular antifreeze.

I have to shout the next bit

ENSURE YOU COMPLETELY FLUSH OUT THE GENERIC ANTIFREEZE BEFORE REFILLING WITH G12+ BECAUSE IT MAY REACT WITH IT AND COAGULATES BLOCKING THE WATER CHANNELS (Hang on have i just solved your problem???) :scratch:

i flashed the system when i did the water and if there was a blockage the fan would make no differnce

well im going to put a new header tank and blue cap on

also what the best stuff to use to flash the system as i will do it again i try anything now

im about to replace the hole system it i dont fix it soon